Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Louis coppillie 1898

Hi Everyone,
    1st of all apologies to admin for not reading the rules properly when posting on brick Walls
    2nd I've traced Louis Coppillie born 1898 and then drawn a blank, obvs he's passed away we thinking 1979, so although he had a child with Dorothy he couldn't marry her till 1978 when his 1st wife died, so they were probably together for good few years but officially they only had a year as official Coppillie.Don't know why he didn't just divorce Mary Smith and then marry Dorothy.funny set of circumstances but all solved thanks to Pam and jmot1.
    So I'm hoping someone can help trace Louis back further please.
    Thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If anyone is thinking that toffeetower has slightly lost the plot, you're half right.
    What happened was that, late last night, he made a post which referenced a possible living person, so the post got deleted, but not before Jomot1 had posted a reply. That reply, along with some other details I'd found, was sent to tt.

However, he's being little bit lazy and only giving you half the information he has. e.g. Louis' full name and date of birth as given in the GRO death index and the Probate Register. Quarters, years, and registration districts of Louis' two marriages. (I know he's got this because I gave it to him, and I think Jomot1 also gave some of them as well.)
    No mention of whether he's looked for Louis and/or Mary in the 1939 Register, nor in any of the census, to say nothing of looking for a birth registration.

Come one, tt, pull your socks up. People are going to be mightily annoyed if they look for these facts and you turn round and tell them 'Oh, I knew that'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I was just about to post Louis full name which is Louis Marie Arsene Capillie in the probate register 1980 which gives Louis' date of death 7 June 1979.
    I am a little lost with this so toffeetower do you have either of the marriage certificates for Louis?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Apologies again Pam, I've found a probate death 1979,Durham, probate 27 Feb 1980 Newcastle upon Tyne, living at 1 and 2 Newton Hall cottages, Durham.
    I can't find a birth reg, but I'm about search the 1939 census to look for them!
    Please forgive these mistakes and laziness it's been awhile since doing all this again,
    Thanks again everyone

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I was just about to post Louis full name which is Louis Marie Arsene Capillie in the probate register 1980 which gives Louis' date of death 7 June 1979.
    I am a little lost with this so toffeetower do you have either of the marriage certificates for Louis?
    Christina
    Hi Christina no I don't have marriage certs just have them as registered,
    Louis married Mary Smith in Oct 1922 Chester le Street, Durham
    Louis had a son born 1943 with mother's surname as Elliot,
    I was told that the son's mother was called Dorothy.
    So we found a marriage between Dorothy Elliott and William Douglas in Oct 1927,Houghton, Durham.
    So we think Dorothy got together with Louis and had their son, Dorothy changed her name to coppillie and married Louis in Jan 1978,Durham Central, Durham. This after Mary Smith had died though.! Hope this makes sense, I'm sure Pam will help if I've missed anything
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 07-04-2021 at 8:02 PM. Reason: Name of possible living person removed as per our T&Cs.

Quote Originally Posted by toffeetower View Post
    Hi Christina no I don't have marriage certs just have them as registered,
    Louis married Mary Smith in Oct 1922 Chester le Street, Durham
    Louis had a son David born 1943 with mother's surname as Elliot,
    I was told that Davids mother was called Dorothy.
    So we found a marriage between Dorothy Elliott and William Douglas in Oct 1927,Houghton, Durham.
    So we think Dorothy got together with Louis and had David, Dorothy changed her name to coppillie and married Louis in Jan 1978,Durham Central, Durham. This after Mary Smith had died though.! Hope this makes sense, I'm sure Pam will help if I've missed anything
    I also have Dorothy in 1939 reg as Dorothy Douglas with Coppillie written over Douglas, she's with William and their son Brian born April 13 1928, Dorothy is March 16th 1907

I know Pam! I am doing tt's work but I can't help it, curiosity gets the better of me.

51. Nelson St Durham
    Mary C Coppelle 4 Nov? 1902 Married Unpaid domestic duties
    3 reacted entries
    B?? (Louis written next to it in green) Coppelle Married 19 June 1898 Paimter and decorator

7 Woodlands Terrace Houghton-le-Spring, Durham
    William Douglas 34 Mines storeman
    Dorothy Douglas 32 16 March? 1907 Unpaid domestic duties. Douglas crossed out and Coppillie written in
    Child Douglas 1928
    2 redacted records
    William Furneval 71 Dec 13 1868 Mines retired
    Christina

Our posts crossed toffeetower. Thanks for the extra information
    The 1978 marriage certificate may be helpful in naming Louis father and his occupation. And this one to Mary Smith could be even more accurate in its details
    Marriages Dec 1922
    COPPILLIE Louis M A Smith Chester-le-S. vol 10a page 1045
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm sure Pam will help if I've missed anything
    Pam's going to give you an important piece of advice.
    You should never just write 'Chester le Street' or Houghton le Spring' unless you mean an event actually happened in the town. If you mean Chester le Street registration district, then that's what you should write. Every single time, as there is a big distinction between the town and the registration district.

SImilar thing with
    ,,...married Louis in Jan 1978,Durham Central
    Unless you have proof (e.g. either the marriage certificate or an announcement in the local paper) then you should write March quarter 1978, Durham Central registration district.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I know Pam! I am doing tt's work but I can't help it, curiosity gets the better of me.

51. Nelson St Durham
    Mary C Coppelle 4 Nov? 1902 Married Unpaid domestic duties
    3 reacted entries
    B?? (Louis written next to it in green) Coppelle Married 19 June 1898 Paimter and decorator

7 Woodlands Terrace Houghton-le-Spring, Durham
    William Douglas 34 Mines storeman
    Dorothy Douglas 32 16 March? 1907 Unpaid domestic duties. Douglas crossed out and Coppillie written in
    Child Douglas 1928
    2 redacted records
    William Furneval 71 Dec 13 1868 Mines retired
    Christina

Our posts crossed toffeetower. Thanks for the extra information
    The 1978 marriage certificate may be helpful in naming Louis father and his occupation. And this one to Mary Smith could be even more accurate in its details
    Marriages Dec 1922
    COPPILLIE Louis M A Smith Chester-le-S. vol 10a page 1045
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't find anything with Mary C Coppelle.1939 census
    No idea what I'm doing wrong,
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Pam's going to give you an important piece of advice.
    You should never just write 'Chester le Street' or Houghton le Spring' unless you mean an event actually happened in the town. If you mean Chester le Street registration district, then that's what you should write. Every single time, as there is a big distinction between the town and the registration district.

SImilar thing with
    Unless you have proof (e.g. either the marriage certificate or an announcement in the local paper) then you should write March quarter 1978, Durham Central registration district.

Pam
    Thanks will try remember ��

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast