Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Suffolk Regiment WW2

Hi,I am looking for help for where my Grandad may of been sent on duties when in the UK in WW2.He was from Ipswich so I take it he was in the Suffolk Regiment. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War records this 'sticky' will explain the connection.

WW11 service records are still held by the MoD but you can apply for them at a cost of 30 pounds, You do not need a regiment or service number but you do need a birth date and a copy of his death certificate. You will find an explanation here which also has a link to the Gov. site where you can download the application forms.
    There is not much point looking for war diaries on The National Archives site until you know which regiment he served in. He could have been placed in a regiment that was short on numbers and not necessarily the one closest to home.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Although it is of course possible that he served within a local regiment, don't take it as a guarantee.
    Since early 1914 (and right up to the present day) men & women were placed where needed, not at all contingent on where they signed up or resided.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sonnyp. I've done a lot of work on one of my grandfathers who served in the Suffolk Regiment as a regular in India pre WW2 and then from the start of WW2 until his death on late May 1940. His name's (R G Jolly) on the Felixstowe war memorial. I have copies of war diaries so I might be able to help.