Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Pollock famiily of Scotland

dear everyone
    I have tried and tried on Scotland census but no luck.

I have Robert Pollock born 1852 Glasgow.
    parents Alexander Pollock and Janet Harvie.
    Robert married Anne Martin (aka Marken) 14 Aug 1874 Irvine Ayr Scotland.

I am trying to find : Alexander's parents.
    Bow I found Robert on the 1871 census libving with his uncle andrew Pollock.
    Andrew married Catherine Mein 1846 Gorbals Lanark.

so I have been trying to find a Pollock with both Alexander and Andrew listed on it in the census or birth with same parents

Also trying to verify daughter of Robert - Jinnie (Jane) Gillies Pollock born 1882 Irvine Scotland and daughter Bella born 1886 Irvine Scotland.

Jinnie had other siblings: John 1875-1947; Thomas Millar Pollock 1877; Wiliam Young Pollock 1879.

thanking you in advance.
    Doreenh

Famous for offering help & advice

Possible.

Note spelling of both names.

**Alexr***. Pollok 20 (c1821)

James Pollok 59
    Elizabeth Pollok 56
    Janet Pollok 30
    Andrew Pollok 25
    Ann Pollok 25
    Alexr Pollok 20
    Margaret Pollok 15
    Agnes Young 40

There isn’t an image of the census,address Craigend.East Kilbride.

Which version of the censuses did you check, Doreen? One of the transcriptions, or Scotland’s People? If the latter, it’s a good idea to try the assorted spelling variations manually. Their auto system can be selective.

Also, if you can’t find a family in one census, try another member of the family (I usually look for the youngest) - One of the parents might have been away from home that night.

The 1861 for Glasgow on Anc's UK branch has an entry for Alexander & Janet Pollock (28 and 32, respectively) and their children Robert (8) & Andrew H (6). Residence Hutchesontown, Glasgow Govan, Lanark. Alexander & Janet were both born Mearns, Renfrew. It says his occupation was "grover", which may be "grocer", you'll need to check on the original on Scotlands People (SP).
    HOWEVER the 1871 has Robert with his parents (and yes, Alex is a "grocer") and brothers Andrew, Thomas & John, so it may not be the right guy.
    SP has 4 hits for Robert Pollock age 8-10 born Glasgow, but I can't get further without spending credits.

You'll need the certificates for those births, only to be found on SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    The 1861 for Glasgow on Anc's UK branch has an entry for Alexander & Janet Pollock (28 and 32, respectively) and their children Robert (8) & Andrew H (6). Residence Hutchesontown, Glasgow Govan, Lanark. Alexander & Janet were both born Mearns, Renfrew. It says his occupation was "grover", which may be "grocer", you'll need to check on the original on Scotlands People (SP).
    HOWEVER the 1871 has Robert with his parents (and yes, Alex is a "grocer") and brothers Andrew, Thomas & John, so it may not be the right guy.
    SP has 4 hits for Robert Pollock age 8-10 born Glasgow, but I can't get further without spending credits.

You'll need the certificates for those births, only to be found on SP.
    I agree with Lesley that the Alexander Pollock who married Janet Harvey in 1850 is the grocer mentioned. The second child is Andrew Harvey Pollock.Robert is unmarried in 1881 so not the Robert who married Ann Martin in Ayrshire. Have you looked at the 1874 marriage certificate?If not you do need to. Who were his parents? I suspect not Alexander Pollock and Janet Harvey....

Dear Lesley and Grisel
    thankyou for your constructive help. I will go back to Scotlands people and have another look.
    I definitely need to verify Jinnie (Jane) birth and her parents.
    I will spend the credits, no problem.
    once again thank you both'Doreenh

Dear everyone
    I went back to scotlands people. found the correct birth for Jinne Jane Gillies Pollock.
    then found the correct marriage of her parents, which gave me their parents,
    also found that they all moved to Australia. have since found siblings of Jane their marriages.
    so thankyou
    Doreenh

Well done, Doreen. We all hit the wrong path at least once!

Great that you have the family sorted!