Default Joseph Ruffle Oakes

Hi All,
    I have tried everything I can think of to find this guy but I keep hitting a brickwall.
    I believe he came from the Warrington area. He would have been born around 1920-1930. The story I have of him is "He joined up when he was 17 lied about his age. He was a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy worked on submarines . He worked for a firm called Weir Pumps and travelled all a over the world. He often accompanied new ships on their maiden voyages. He was married to Lilian Richardson and they lived in Tyneside area.
    Any help to find him would be appreciated.
    Geordielad70

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There's a plain Joseph (no middle name) Oakes marrying a Lilian Richardson in Newcastle upon Tyne registration district, December quarter 1938. Volume number 10b page number 212.
    They were probably the parents of the six Oakes children whose births were registered in the same registration district between 1939 and 1950.

Can't find them in the 1939 Register, so I think you will have to invest some money in the marriage certificate which will hopefully give you their ages. This will hopefully then lead to the death registrations (unless Joseph died abroad) with a date of birth given.

All BMD certificates for England and Wales should be ordered through the GRO.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

These are the birth registrations that might fit for someone coming from the Warrington area. Where there is no mother's maiden name, that means that she wasn't married.

OAKES, JOSEPH Mother's maiden name: HELSBY
    GRO Reference: 1921 M Quarter in PRESCOT Volume 08B Page 1517

OAKES, JOSEPH Mother's maiden name: WHITFIELD
    GRO Reference: 1921 S Quarter in WARRINGTON Volume 08C Page 413

OAKES, JOSEPH
    GRO Reference: 1922 D Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 08B Page 6

OAKES, JOSEPH
    GRO Reference: 1924 J Quarter in LEIGH Volume 08C Page 429

There is no registration for a Joseph Ruffle Oakes. His marriage certificate will give you his father's name, which might help you to whittle these down.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Someone on another forum was asking about this chap in August 2020. They thought he had been born about 1900.

Thanks for your help Pam it's appreciated.
    Geordielad70

Thanks Megan the Warrington Joseph looks good.
    Geordielad

Hi Squaredancer that might have been me.
    Geordielad