Loves to help with queries

Default Montreal Marriage 1867

Hi,

I have located a marriage

https://applications.banq.qc.ca/apex...:P11_CLE:17623

can anyone help point me in to right direction to get more information or a copy of the Marriage Certificate?

Famous for offering help & advice

The image of the church record is on Familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...561&cat=561789

Thank you for that link. The record confirms it is the correct marriage. John Tucker was indeed in the Royal Artillery. Sadly it doesn’t give details of their parents. But at least remove a small brick from the brickwall this couple have presented. I have been looking for this marriage for 10 years!

Is it likely I can get a marriage Certificate for this marriage?

I was about to ask if this is the John Tucker, regimental number 3556, with 4th Brigade Royal Artillery, who seems to have been in Canada in the 1860's.

However I think that John Tucker may the same one as on the 1871 census, with 4th Brigade, at barracks in Ipswich - unmarried.

Hi Wimsey,

Yes John Tucker 3556 is the right person I think. Yes he was back in Ipswich in 1871 BUT he is listed as John Tricker in the ancestry 1871 census.

The family of John Tricker is documented in all subsequent census returns as John Tucker. I'm convinced he is the right person since the family members are constant. (Well as consistent as can be expected given that children grow up and move out of the household and new members are born)

I do wonder if John Tucker and John Tricker are one and the same person. What are the chances of having two people with effectively the same name and same place of birth both being drivers in The Royal Artillery?

There is a two year difference in the ages of the two men.

I would say they are one and the same. Tricker is a mistranscription. So he was probably counted as being in barracks but was actually at home - or vice versa. Not the first person I've come across simultaneouly on two census returns.

I can't help with your marriage enquiry - unless you somehow contact Montreal archives. Are there too many Brentwood born John Tuckers to work out his parents - if thats what you wanted to find out ?

Hi Again Whimsy,

Yes it seems a very common name. John Tucker and Mary Manley are a real brickwall. They are consistent in the Census records right back to 1871. A couple of years ago I was able to visit Toronto and do some research there and had a fair amount of information about his service in the RA. Now I have a marriage if I can get a certificate that gives their parents details it could be a big breakthrough. John Tucker is consistent about his age and place of birth. The same goes for Mary Manley born in Brighton. But I can find a birth for either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tomg View Post
    Is it likely I can get a marriage Certificate for this marriage?
    According to Library & Archives Canada, the civil registration of BMD events were duplicates of the church record: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...es/quebec.aspx