Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mathias family

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    So just 3 years before it became legal in the UK.

In a previous post are you saying your grandfather Eddie/ Edward died about 1933? Who did he marry? When? Where? Who was his eldest child, If still alive you cannot name them but could tell us the year of birth.

As Pam has said DNA testing may be the route to go along to try and take this further. Have you considered that Eddie is actually Henry's child by another woman conceived before Mary and the children arrived in South Africa. This has happened in my family.

The only record I can find on familysearch.org for an Edward Mathias is the death of an Edward John Mathias in 1923 age 25 and single. Cause of death -tuberculosis. But the death record says he was born in England.
    Christina
    We thought Henry Mathias had died in about 1933, but turns out it was January 1934, so not far off. We are almost certain that Eddie is Henry’s child from another woman. My sister found a record on a site showing Eddie’s birthdate as March 1909, but no other info. Henry and Mary’s son born in Elandslaagte in South Africa was born on the 13th of April 1909. Apparently Henry travelled a lot for work, so we don’t know where he had been when he came back with Eddie.
    Eddie’s eldest child (my uncle) is no longer alive and I imagine he was born in 1932 or 1933? My Mom was born in 1937.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    So just 3 years before it became legal in the UK.

In a previous post are you saying your grandfather Eddie/ Edward died about 1933? Who did he marry? When? Where? Who was his eldest child, If still alive you cannot name them but could tell us the year of birth.

As Pam has said DNA testing may be the route to go along to try and take this further. Have you considered that Eddie is actually Henry's child by another woman conceived before Mary and the children arrived in South Africa. This has happened in my family.

The only record I can find on familysearch.org for an Edward Mathias is the death of an Edward John Mathias in 1923 age 25 and single. Cause of death -tuberculosis. But the death record says he was born in England.
    Christina
    I think Eddie died in about 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenO View Post
    I think Eddie died in about 1983.
    Did Eddie die in South Africa? In one of your previous posts you say your sister found a record somewhere saying he was born March 1909/ I can't find a death for him on familysearch.org in South Africa and the reason I am asking if he died there or elsewhere is because there is this in the US.
    United States Social Security Death Index
    Edward Mathias
    State - New York
    Residence Place - New York
    Last Place of Residence:
    Buffalo, Erie, New York
    Previous Residence Postal Code - 14201
    Age - 76
    Birth Date -1 Mar 1909
    Death Date - September 1985

However there are more Edward/Eddie Mathias records born at various times with quite a few in the US but they have to be discounted.

Edited to add - Does your mother not know her father Eddie's actual birth date?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234