Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Royal Scots Greys Regiment

Hi
    My name is Caroline Black and I have been researching my family for about 10 years now but have always become stuck looking for a Andrew Black who was my grandfather, we no little history of him. One thing I do recall was my dad talking about his dad being in the Royal Scots Greys Regiment. He we know later worked in stables and was a groom so assume this had something to do with his military time. Can anyone point me or help me with this we know he was born 1888/1889 but died at the age of 48 in 1936. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Do you have any other odd snippets of information that might help him to stand out from the crowd?
    Where did he live? What was your father's name and where/when was he born (assuming he is no longer with us). What was your grandmother called?

Is that him shown on FreeBMD as having died in Newcastle on Tyne in the June quarter of 1936? That immediately tells me to stop looking for him in Scotlands People!
    When the name is not rare, anything might help...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Do you have any other odd snippets of information that might help him to stand out from the crowd?
    Where did he live? What was your father's name and where/when was he born (assuming he is no longer with us). What was your grandmother called?

Is that him shown on FreeBMD as having died in Newcastle on Tyne in the June quarter of 1936? That immediately tells me to stop looking for him in Scotlands People!
    When the name is not rare, anything might help...
    Hi Lesley

Thankyou for coming back to me.
    My dad was Frank Black and was born 23.03.1928 but unfortunately he died last year. My dad grew up in Newcastle upon Tyne, his mother was called Louisa Ireland but I could never find a marriage certificate for Andrew and her, they are both recorded on his birth certificate.
    The Ireland family was a very big family and travelled around as Robert Ireland, Louisa's father was a gamekeeper all around the country and also Scotland and Wales.
    On the death certificate of Andrew Black it says he died in the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle on 26.04.1936, back then dates of birth were not put on the death certificates, but his age was 48. My dad was only 8 when he died and his sister Winifred May was about 11.
    Andrew went on to be a groom and then later worked at a riding school in Newcastle.
    I hope someone could give me some information to help.
    Thank you again.
    Caroline

There is an entry in the 1939 register for England for Louisa A Black born 4 Sep 1894 widow, domestic duties. Also in the same household is Frank A Black born 23 Mar 1928 at school.
    There's another lady, surname Winifred Smith (Black) in the same household.
    It would be a pretty big coincidence if they were not your people. They're in Walbottle, Northumberland.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

There is an entry in the 1939 register for England for Louisa A Black born 4 Sep 1894 widow, domestic duties. Also in the same household is Frank A Black born 23 Mar 1928 at school.
    There's another lady, surname Winifred Smith (Black) in the same household.
    It would be a pretty big coincidence if they were not your people. They're in Walbottle, Northumberland.
    Yes that's them. I have a copy of Winifred's birth certificate and there is no father mentioned.
    What is the 1939 register? Is this a military register?

It was a register made in 1939 for planning purposes as the country was headed into WW2. Not as informative as the census, but better than nothing! FMP has it.

I'm not 100% that it was true in England (I've escaped from the scottish sector) but back then an unmarried father could only be listed on a birth cert if both parents went to register the birth. They seem to have been a stable couple so, with divorce as difficult and expensive as it was back then, I wonder whether it's worth looking for an earlier marriage for Andrew pre 1925?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

It was a register made in 1939 for planning purposes as the country was headed into WW2. Not as informative as the census, but better than nothing! FMP has it.

I'm not 100% that it was true in England (I've escaped from the scottish sector) but back then an unmarried father could only be listed on a birth cert if both parents went to register the birth. They seem to have been a stable couple so, with divorce as difficult and expensive as it was back then, I wonder whether it's worth looking for an earlier marriage for Andrew pre 1925?
    Yes I have gone back a few years for marriages but haven't found anything, I find it a bit strange also that Louisa was quite old 30ish and 33 when she had Frank and Winifred for back then. I have a copy of the 1911 census and Louisa was in service at The Old Vicarage Llandinam Powys Wales at the age of 16.
    Do you know if Andrew Black was in the Royal Scots Greys? do you have any access to those records or any idea of how I could find out

The trouble with the military records such as the medal cards is that they work best for unusual names. I haven’t been able to pick on AB from the others. Have a look and see whether there’s an Association for the regiment - any of them have been merged with others over the years, but they still honor all their origins. Having been born in the late 1880s, I would have expected to serve somewhere in WW1...
    That’s where I’d start.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The trouble with the military records such as the medal cards is that they work best for unusual names. I haven’t been able to pick on AB from the others. Have a look and see whether there’s an Association for the regiment - any of them have been merged with others over the years, but they still honor all their origins. Having been born in the late 1880s, I would have expected to serve somewhere in WW1...
    That’s where I’d start.
    Would just like to thank you for your help and comments, its much appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Caroline

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Carlyjane View Post
    Would just like to thank you for your help and comments, its much appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Caroline
    Sorry to ask again but I wondered on the 1939 register you mentioned that Winifred was (Smith) Black! can you let me know what the Smith in brackets was ? How can I see this entry?

Thank you

Caroline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast