Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

1851 Census via FMP. Piece 2056, Folio 276, Page 54

There is a Thirza de Lees, born 1827 Langton (sic) Staffordshire, living as a governess in the household of a Birmingham surgeon.

Either she had delusions of grandeur, or the enumerator wrote ‘do’ for ditto and then added Lees.

On Ancestry she has been transcribed as Thirza Delees.

Peter

John Lees b. Lichfield 1848, Q1 Vol 17 Page 70. would seem to be a good candidate.

FMP has him with mmn Lees but GRO has no mmn.

Strangely (?) GRO has two entries for John Lees, the second one b. Lichfield 1848, Q2 Vol 17 Page 83, mmn Horton!

FreeBMD suggests that an alteration has been made to the first entry, but I can’t understand what it is.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    1851 Census via FMP. Piece 2056, Folio 276, Page 54

There is a Thirza de Lees, born 1827 Langton (sic) Staffordshire, living as a governess in the household of a Birmingham surgeon.

Either she had delusions of grandeur, or the enumerator wrote ‘do’ for ditto and then added Lees.

On Ancestry she has been transcribed as Thirza Delees.

Peter
    Thank you, Peter, that could be her.
    Alma

John Lees b. Lichfield 1848, Q1 Vol 17 Page 70. would seem to be a good candidate.

FMP has him with mmn Lees but GRO has no mmn.

Strangely (?) GRO has two entries for John Lees, the second one b. Lichfield 1848, Q2 Vol 17 Page 83, mmn Horton!

FreeBMD suggests that an alteration has been made to the first entry, but I can’t understand what it is.

Peter
    That's all very confusing, isn't it? I have no time now to look at the records but will take a look later,
    Alma

Thanks for all that,I’ve done some research into my DNA ,I’m linked to people through the marriage of Simon Adey and Ann Lees.I met a John Adey online a few years ago,when we matched our DNA it came out that we were ment to have the same GGG Grandfather.

Do you descend from JRL? Who does John Adey you met online descend from? I find it puzzling if you both descend from Simon Adey and JRL is your ancestor. Ann Lees was married to Simon Adey before JRL was born, if Simon and JRL relate is it possible Simon had an affair with a Miss Lees?
    Alma

There is a baptism for a John Lees in Lichfield, 16th January 1848, no father’s name, mother’s name Sarah Lees! (FMP, transcript only).

Perhaps this is the same John Lees as in my #12 above.

Peter

There is a baptism for a John Lees in Lichfield, 16th January 1848, no father’s name, mother’s name Sarah Lees! (FMP, transcript only).

Perhaps this is the same John Lees as in my #12 above.

Peter
    Oh, I like that, Peter. If only we could find him in 1851. I did suspect Sarah was the most likely of the sisters' to be JRL's mother. Well done.

It must be the same John Lees you mentioned in #12.

harle769, I think you should consider sending for the above birth certificate if you think there's a chance he's yours, although it isn't clear whether he's a direct ancestor of yours, please can you confirm or otherwise?
    Alma

The baptism (transcript) is also on FreeReg. The only additional information is Sarah's address which is The Workhouse, and the Church is St Michaels Lichfield. It says Sarah is a spinster.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by harle769 View Post
    Thanks for all that,I’ve done some research into my DNA ,I’m linked to people through the marriage of Simon Adey and Ann Lees.I met a John Adey online a few years ago,when we matched our DNA it came out that we were ment to have the same GGG Grandfather.
    I've just re-read this and absorbed what you say. If I have this right the John Adey whose DNA matched yours suggests you share a ggg grandfather, John is a descendant of Simon Adey and Ann Lees. If JRL baptised Lichfield in 1848, son of Sarah Lees, is your ancestor you would both share John Lees born circa 1791 father of Ann and Sarah.
    Alma

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast