Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default James THOMSON & Ethel WILLSON in Thanet, Kent

    I am hoping someone can help me with a brick wall regarding a family member who was born at Hill House Hospital in Minster-in-Thanet.

    Frederick Thomson - born Jul 29, 1922

    According to the GRO Birth Certificate, it states his parents James Thomson and Ethel Willson were married, but I can't find any marriage records for them. The birth certificate says James Thomson was an electrician at 5 Ellington Park Road in St Lawrence. Under the name, surname of mother, it says Ethel Thomson formerly Willson.

    To add a little more detail to Frederick Thomson, I believe he was an only child. Family stories passed down says he was an "orphan," but that might have been Frederick expressing how he felt growing up in the Isle of Thanet Union Workhouse. Maybe his mother passed away while he was young (just speculation on my part) and since he was born at Hill House Hospital, he was raised in the workhouse. I do know Frederick served in the Royal Air Force (I believe he entered the RAF in 1941) and was stationed in Nova Scotia during WWII. I am just trying to dig deeper to find any details about him or his parents.

    I wish I knew more details about the workhouse and how it operated during the 1920s and 1930s.

    Do you think Ethel Willson "lied" about being married to James Thomson because she was the one reporting the details about the birth of her son, Frederick?

    Thank you for letting me add some more details about Frederick's life. Hope something helps!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reseacherofhist View Post
    I am hoping someone can help me with a brick wall regarding a family member who was born at Hill House Hospital in Minster-in-Thanet.

    Frederick Thomson - born Jul 29, 1922

    According to the GRO Birth Certificate, it states his parents James Thomson and Ethel Willson were married, but I can't find any marriage records for them. The birth certificate says James Thomson was an electrician at 5 Ellington Park Road in St Lawrence. Under the name, surname of mother, it says Ethel Thomson formerly Willson.

    To add a little more detail to Frederick Thomson, I believe he was an only child. Family stories passed down says he was an "orphan," but that might have been Frederick expressing how he felt growing up in the Isle of Thanet Union Workhouse. Maybe his mother passed away while he was young (just speculation on my part) and since he was born at Hill House Hospital, he was raised in the workhouse. I do know Frederick served in the Royal Air Force (I believe he entered the RAF in 1941) and was stationed in Nova Scotia during WWII. I am just trying to dig deeper to find any details about him or his parents.

    I wish I knew more details about the workhouse and how it operated during the 1920s and 1930s.

    Do you think Ethel Willson "lied" about being married to James Thomson because she was the one reporting the details about the birth of her son, Frederick?

    Thank you for letting me add some more details about Frederick's life. Hope something helps!
    There is a marriage reg for 1904 between James Thomson and Dora Ethel WILSON in Kensington. Probably a little too early though.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    There is a marriage reg for 1904 between James Thomson and Dora Ethel WILSON in Kensington. Probably a little too early though.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will look to see if there are any potential siblings that could fall into place.

  4. #4
    Growing old Disgracefully
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, ENGLAND
    Posts
    3,202

    Default

    The only hits I'm getting on Ancestry are for
    in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
    Name Ethyl Wilson (Different Spelling)
    Spouse James Thomson
    Children Frederick David Thomson

    death of Freferick David 2007

    So did they all go to America or just Frederick David

  5. #5
    Growing old Disgracefully
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, ENGLAND
    Posts
    3,202

    Default

    A Frederick Thomson went to America 27 april 1948 on "Mauretania" last address 296 Vauxhall Bridge Road london SW1 Occpation Engineer

    Is this your man

  6. #6
    Growing old Disgracefully
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, ENGLAND
    Posts
    3,202

    Default

    1939 Census has James and Ethel Thomason - Wellington Road, Lambeth. with children some of which are blacked out so can't see names but will go look for them

  7. #7

    Default

    Yes, this is the same Frederick Thomson in my family. Yes, I am aware of this information and record. I am hoping to go back beyond Frederick's parents. Not much luck so far, but thank you so much for digging deep into this request! I appreciate it!


    Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    The only hits I'm getting on Ancestry are for
    in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
    Name Ethyl Wilson (Different Spelling)
    Spouse James Thomson
    Children Frederick David Thomson

    death of Freferick David 2007

    So did they all go to America or just Frederick David

  8. #8

    Default

    It seems that Lambeth is part of London and it is quite close to the "296 Vauxhall Bridge Road, London" address on the passenger list. However, I can't find a Wellington Road in Lambeth. I see on the map there is a Wellington Road in Wanstead, London. About 15 miles or so miles away.

    The address on 296 Vauxhall Bridge Road is listed for a place called Family Welfare Association. Any thoughts about what the "Family Welfare Association" is?




    Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    1939 Census has James and Ethel Thomason - Wellington Road, Lambeth. with children some of which are blacked out so can't see names but will go look for them

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Select a file: