Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So no children born to Cecil and his wife Ellen that we have found and none to Cecil's sister Marguerite, so the only descendants to follow are those of their respective mothers and fathers.

Cecil's father is Robert Ralli Johnston and always gives his birth as 1856 Blantyre New Boston except in 1911 he says Glasgow Lanarkshire. I can't see a birth record for him on ScotlandsPeople so have no way of knowing if he is in England or Scotland in the censuses prior to 1881. He joined the Freemasonry in 1880 in England. When he and Eliza married they were both age 33 and both gave their father's occupation as Gentleman. Robert Ralli said his father's name was Robert Johnston and Eliza gave her father's name as Thomas. Three of the witnesses were B H Johnston, T W Buck and M Tamar? Buck.

Eliza's siblings are easier to follow.
    Thomas William 1856 - not found
    Helen Annie 1858- not looked as yet
    Maria Tamar 1860- 30 Sep 1941 See below.
    Isabella Smith Buck 1865 -not looked as yet

Maria Tamar Buck
    Marriage Age: Full Age
    Marriage Date: 24 Apr 1900
    At St James, Piccadilly (St James, Westminster), London,
    Father: Thomas Buck
    Spouse: Ernest Augustus Hamlyn

In 1901 census they were living with his mother and sisters. In 1911 they still have his mother and sister with them and a daughter Iris age 8. When she was baptised in 1903 she was given the names Kathleen Iris Mary Isabel Hamlyn.
    As her mother Maria Tamar was age 50 it is likely they didn't have any more children.
    I can't find a marriage for Iris but there is an incoming pssenger list for her on 14 March 1959,gives her age as 57 so born c1902. So another one bites the dust as she didn't marry.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Isabella Smith Buck
    Marriage Age: 20
    Birth Date: abt 1865
    Marriage Date: 28 Sep 1885
    Marriage Place: St Matthew, Upper Clapton, Hackney, England
    Father: Thomas Buck
    Spouse: George Frederick Smith
    Register Type: Parish Register

1891 Piece 1044 Folio 89
    4 Blenheim Gardens Willesden
    George F Smith 33 I can't read his occupation.
    Isabella S Smith 25
    Isabella M Smith 4
    Dorothy M Smith 3
    Ethel M Smith 2
    Winnifred M Challis 19
    Jane Jobjvit 38

At last some descendants to follow.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    anestry.com has the probate date 11 Feb 1960 London and gives his place of residence as Askrikegatan, Probate granted to Edward Tolley Grubb solicitor.
    For £1.50 and a wait of a week or so it might be worth ordering a copy of the will to see whether any family members are named. The entry refers to assets of over £14,000 in England - quite a substantial amount in those days.

I've no idea what the Swedish probate system is, or if/how you can get copies of wills, but there might be something useful there too.

1891 Piece 1044 Folio 89
    4 Blenheim Gardens Willesden
    George F Smith 33 I can't read his occupation.
    Isabella S Smith 25
    Isabella M Smith 4
    Dorothy M Smith 3
    Ethel M Smith 2
    Winnifred M Challis 19
    Jane Jobjvit 38

At last some descendants to follow.
    Christina

Isabella Smith Burk born c1866 as above remarried in 1900 to Herbert Alfred Angel Webb. She is a widow and as on her first marriage her father Thomas Burk Genteman .

Her daughter Ethel M Smith to her first husband was a spinster when given probate to her mother's will in 1940. Her mother died in 18 June that year.

So now we are left with her two daughters Isabella M (Marguerite) Smith birth registered Sept 1/4 1886 with the first name Isabel and Dorothy May birth registered Dec 1/4 1887.
    Isabel(la) is proving elusive.
    Isabella snr and daughter Mary are boarding at a hotel in Prittlewell Essex and no sign of the second husband Herbert A A Webb who died in 1924 age 61.

Not having much luck are we? I'll get back to it later
    Christina

William Burroughs

Ok, so this is what we have found in Sweden today. Cecil Johnston worked as a cashier at the Swedish Rugby Federation from 1933-1958. He seems to have been very loved and appreciated since they named a tournament after him, the Johnston Cup. Other than that there are no traces. However, there was a Rugby player in Sweden in the 1972 Swedish champs team named Ron Johnston. He played for Stockholm which was also where Cecil lived. If Ron is Cecils son Cecil must have hade him very late in life, probably when he was around 45-50 since Ron looks to be around 30-35 in the photograph from 1972. Ron actually does look a bit like Cecil. Unfortunately that is the only info I can find on either Cecil or Ron here in Sweden. I have also found the grave of Cecils wife, Ellen Elisabeth Johnston. She went by the name Lisa Johnston and remained married to Cecil until her death in 1959.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    For £1.50 and a wait of a week or so it might be worth ordering a copy of the will to see whether any family members are named. The entry refers to assets of over £14,000 in England - quite a substantial amount in those days.

I've no idea what the Swedish probate system is, or if/how you can get copies of wills, but there might be something useful there too.
    Thanks for this arthurk.

Henrik this is where you can order Cecil's will. https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Meanwhile can the rugby club be of any help with records for Ron Johnston? I did do a bit of a search for rugby clubs in Stockholm but too many of them. One in particular is the Exiles Rugby club but that wasn't formed until 1968. Evidently Sweden officially got in to the rugby game in 1932.
    Is there an online archived newspaper site where you can see if his crash in to the lake and/or his death was reported?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

I have contacted both the Rugby club and The Swedish Rygby Ass. and they said they would look through their archives. There is no online info about his crash on the lake in 1920. The local flying club here wrote about the crash in their newspaper about 3 years ago but it was only a guessing game until I found the piece of the propeler that has information about the crash handwritten on it.

Is there any way to attach pictures from my computer ti this thread? I have tons of pictures.

A swedish genealogy center was interested in the case and have ordered both Cecils and Ellens will. Also the local diving club will start diving for more precis of the aircraft as soon as the ice on the lake melts.

A Swedish genealogy center was interested in the case and have ordered both Cecils and Ellens will. Also the local diving club will start diving for more precis of the aircraft as soon as the ice on the lake melts.
    Do let us know what you find out from the wills and the search of the lake bed.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikSandin View Post
    Is there any way to attach pictures from my computer ti this thread? I have tons of pictures.
    To upload an image to the forums the first step is to make sure that you are in Go Advanced mode on the Brit-Gen thread where you want to place the photo. Click on the picture frame in the row of images above the reply box. (6 from the RH side). The box that appears requires a URL address.
    You have to upload your photo to a free site which will provide a URL address. I use Postimage which is very simple.
    On the home page of Postimage click on 'Choose images' then find and click on the file you want to upload where you have the photo stored on your computer eg Pictures. Then click on the particular folder that holds your picture and Open it. Choose your photo, click on it and click on Open. You are now taken back to the Postimage page where you are given a choice of 9 links. Click on the URL 'Hotlink for forum' Now right click on the URL address and then click on Copy. Go back to the reply box on the Brit-Gen thread and in the URL box right click on your mouse and from the menu click on paste. The URL for your photo is now ready to be posted on the forum along with any information you have typed in to accompany it.
    There are other free sites from which to upload images with URL addresses if you want an alternative.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12