Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default What happened to Herbert Brimble in Calcutta?

I'm trying to trace what happened to a member of my family tree who I assume went to India sometime in the 1920s. Herbert Brimble was the son of Henry Brimble and Emily Cornish (who also had William, Percy, Dorothy, Jack and Florence). He was born in April/June 1895 in Frome, Somerset. He was last listed in a census in 1911 at the family home No. 2 Wine Street, Frome age 16. He appears to have joined the 1st wiltshire regiment on 10th January 1914 but then been discharged due to being considered medically unfit for further military service on 15th July 1914.

The only other definite reference to him was in a newspaper clipping from 14 September 1952 on the death of his father which reads "information wanted re whereabouts of Herbert Brimble and William Brimble, brothers of and beneficiaries under the intestacy of Henry Brimble (deceased) of Frome, Somerset. Herbert last heard of in Calcutta.

I have found a possible marriage record of a Herbert Albert Brimble, age 26 marrying an Ivy Ida Bell in Calcutta Bengal (His fathers name is listed as Harry Brimble) I don't know whether this is the Herbert Brimble from my family tree and if so what happened to him and his wife and whether they ever had children.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful as I have come to a bit of a dead end.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Lost ancestor Herbert Brimble

I'm trying to trace what happened to a member of my family tree who may have gone to India sometime between 1914 and the early 1920s. Herbert Brimble was the son of Henry Brimble and Emily Cornish (who also had William, Percy, Dorothy, Jack and Florence). He was born in April/June 1895 in Frome, Somerset. He was last listed in a census in 1911 at the family home No. 2 Wine Street, Frome age 16. He appears to have joined the 1st wiltshire regiment on 10th January 1914 but then been discharged due to being considered medically unfit for further military service on 15th July 1914. He then seems to have disappeared.

The only other definite reference to him that I have found was in a newspaper clipping from 14 September 1952 on the death of his father which reads "information wanted re whereabouts of Herbert Brimble and William Brimble, brothers of and beneficiaries under the intestacy of Henry Brimble (deceased) of Frome, Somerset. Herbert last heard of in Calcutta'.

I have found a possible marriage record of a Herbert Albert Brimble, age 26 marrying an Ivy Ida Bell in Calcutta Bengal on 4th May 1921 (His father’s name is listed as Harry Brimble) I don't know whether this is the Herbert Brimble from my family tree and if so what happened to him and his wife and whether they ever had children.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful as I have come to a bit of a dead end. I initially posted this in the India forum and had a fair number of views but no replies. He has always been referred to as "Poor Herb" but no one has any idea why as that story has been lost. It would be really interesting to find out any more about him if anyone can help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

HI,

As you can see I've merged your new post with the original one about Herbert. This is because duplicate threads cause confusion and often lead to duplicated research.

Mods can re-title threads, and also move them to another forum, so if you would like either of those to happen, then please say. (In this case, perhaps Brickwalls which can be worldwide is better than India which is precise.)

When was the last time you did a thorough search for Herbert (and, incidentally, William)? Which websites/records did you search? Asking because new records are being added all the time and what wasn't there last week could be there today. Have you tried the FIBIS (Families in British India Society)? I think some of their records may be on FMP.
    Have you tried the British Newspaper Archive? They have some Indian newspapers, though I think that at the moment coverage is mainly 19th century for them, but new pages are added to the BNA every week.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Added:
    I notice that when 'that' Herbert Brimble married in 1921 that he was called Herbert Albert and aged 26. Have you tried to find a Herbert Albert Brimble born circa 1895?
    Might also be worth searching for an Albert Herbert in records as well. Two of my great-grandfather's siblings transposed their first and second names causing me considerable confusion when I was in my early days of genealogy.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

I note that his army papers also refer to his father as Harry, so it does seem likely that the marriage is him.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you both for your responses. I am only on ancestry at the moment and am beginning to regret I didnt subscribe to Find my past instead as there seems to be a greater variety of records to access there. I have trawled through the ancestry ones pretty thoroughly over the last year off and on to try to find out any more about Herbert. The British Newspaper Archives site looks quite interesting so I will try and follow that one up. I will follow up on searching under Albert Herbert and see if anything else comes up too.

If the marriage record does turn out to be correct have you any advice on how I could follow up what happened to him in India?