Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Name Decipher Challenge!

Evening everyone,

I wondered if anyone was is able to decipher the below name.
    Second name is Hall, but I can not for the life of me work out what the gentlemans first name is!

Knowledgeable and helpful

William!

Peter

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

A mis-spelt - or at least mis-dotted - William.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Now you have said it, it seems obvious!! The dots must have thrown me way off the scent.
    There is another W on the certificate and it's wrote completely differently.

Thanks you both, greatly appreciated

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RustyH View Post
    Now you have said it, it seems obvious!! The dots must have thrown me way off the scent.
    There is another W on the certificate and it's wrote completely differently.

Thanks you both, greatly appreciated
    I'm researching the Hall's in Birmingham. Two different families in fact, my cousin and grandmother. Could we be looking at the same trees? Perhaps you would let me know some of your Hall details.

Starting to feel at home

Just pinged you a PM

Starting to feel at home

Quick question: Where Gypsies included in early 1900 census. I assume there couldnt be as there was no fixed abode?

Super Moderator

I am still having problems finding a birth registration for Adelaide in 1900. Nothing on FreeBMD or the GRO. Can only find the one in March quarter 1901 in the area.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Sue,

I believe there are two Adelaide Hall on FreeBMD with Birth dates of Q1 1900

HALL Adelaide, Pancras, 1b 75
    HALL Adelaide, Durham, 10a 419

Both of these may have Birth dates of 4th Jan, but I would need to get there Birth Certs to be sure I guess.

If both of these are not the right person, there is an Adelaide Hall that was residing in Handsworth, Birmingham in 1901. She was staying with her grandfather John Smith at a well known Gypsy site in Handsworth.
    Johns Parents were actually regarded as the gypsy King and Queen of the site (Esau and Henry Smith).

The 1901 Cenus would suggest she was born in 1900.

Handsworth isn't too far from where my great grandad lived (who she married).

It could be an option, the problem is, there is no reference or link to William Hall who is listed on her Wedding certificate

Quote Originally Posted by RustyH View Post
    Quick question: Where Gypsies included in early 1900 census. I assume there couldn't be as there was no fixed abode?
    Yes they were included if they could be found. even if living in a tent. It didn't matter where they were living or who they were visiting, people were recorded at the place they were on the night of the census.

The birth registration of Adelaide Hall in March 1/4 1900 Pancras has the mother's maiden name Ansdell and the Durham birth reg mmn Carter.
    At first on FreeBMD I couldn't find a marriage for Hall and Ansdell 1885-1901 so then I just used the surname Ansdell. It seems there has been a mistranscription of the name Hall as Ball as there is a marriage of an Adelaide Ansdell on the same page as a Henry William Ball Dec 1/4 1886 Pancras vol 1b page 124.
    A marriage of a Hall to a Carter is a little more difficult to sort out.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast