Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hutchinson and Medals

Hello everyone, I seem to have hit a brick wall. My long lost relative is proving hard to find in the ww2 era but ill tell what i have and if anyone can point in the right direction or shed some light my hair may stop going grey..
    The medals got given to me with his name and address on the front and on reverse the stamp Droitwich on the brown box ( medal office i believe)
    A piece of paper heading "Campaign, Clasps and Medals institutad in recognition of service in the war of 1939-45" and how many medals received which was Five.

These where........... 1939-45 Star ( battle of britain) ------Burma Star-----Defence Medal
    Africa Star----- War Medal 1939-45
    Also it looks like someone has written in black marker 64096 which i thought maybe his military number. Possibly thinking he maybe TA, truthfully dont know,Only one medal has his name on which i found weird too as i thought they all did in them days.

His name is Allen Hutchinson from yorkshire and was born in 1907
    Can i find any military records of any description....NO
    If anyone can shed anything for me that would be fantastic, If not i shall continue pulling my hair out lol...........Many thanks Wayne

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to s from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.
    Service records 1921 onwards are still held by the MoD but you can apply for them. You do not need a regiment or service number but you do need a date of birth, a copy of his death certificate and 30 pounds.
    There is a very long wait at the moment and this 'sticky' explains and gives a link where you can download the application forms.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Hi, you are unlikely to find post 1922 (including all WWII service) anywhere openly unless your person has public records such as:

Prisoner of war
    Casualty (wounded, missing, dead)
    Gallantry awards or recommendations
    A courts-martial record

Very few records outside of those are available, for many reasons although primarily because the MOD haven't released service records as yet (and probably won't do so for at least another decade).

You can apply directly to the MOD jumping through a few hoops for those.

The medals won't be named unless they are gallantry awards or he had them engraved/stamped himself -the war office stopped doing that on campaign medals during the interwar period.

64096 might be his army number (most refer to that as a service number), it's possible anyway.
    If the 39-45 star has the clasp on it stating 'battle of Britain then he was RAF, otherwise it is a standard 1939-45 medal, people refer to the medals as all sorts of odd names, but BoB is only ever RAF. It does sound like he moved around a bit with the Burma star & Africa Star, so almost certainly army in my experience.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to s from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.
    Service records 1921 onwards are still held by the MoD but you can apply for them. You do not need a regiment or service number but you do need a date of birth, a copy of his death certificate and 30 pounds.
    There is a very long wait at the moment and this 'sticky' explains and gives a link where you can download the application forms.

Christina
    Ok dokkie Many Thanks

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by timbo58 View Post
    Hi, you are unlikely to find post 1922 (including all WWII service) anywhere openly unless your person has public records such as:

Prisoner of war
    Casualty (wounded, missing, dead)
    Gallantry awards or recommendations
    A courts-martial record

Very few records outside of those are available, for many reasons although primarily because the MOD haven't released service records as yet (and probably won't do so for at least another decade).

You can apply directly to the MOD jumping through a few hoops for those.

The medals won't be named unless they are gallantry awards or he had them engraved/stamped himself -the war office stopped doing that on campaign medals during the interwar period.

64096 might be his army number (most refer to that as a service number), it's possible anyway.
    If the 39-45 star has the clasp on it stating 'battle of Britain then he was RAF, otherwise it is a standard 1939-45 medal.
    Thankyou for your help :-)

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Just to add to Timbo's post the TA Efficiency Medal was Named and Numbered, he would have needed to serve 12 years for that, war years counted double. ie only 6.

Keith