Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you find out who is who?

I've done a search for my husband's Grandfather Harry Davenport B 15/06/1884 Stafford and found a number of Harry Davenports. We have a photo of him in his uniform but can't identify his regiment. We think its Army, definitely WW1, as he's from Staffordshire guessing that its the North Staffordshire regiment and found a number 11051 with a record W0372/5/171505

As we don't live anywhere near Kew and I know there was fire damage of 60% of the records, is there any way of identifying whether the number is actually the same Harry Davenport.

I have also seen a document relating to desertion in 1918 but don't know if this is also the same person as there are many Harry Davenport's

I can't see any way of posting harry's hat with the badge to see if anyone can recognise it.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way of identifying if its him or whether its worth a visit when lockdown ends? Many thanks for any help.

Hi

To upload an image to the forums the first step is to make sure that you are in Go Advanced mode on the Brit-Gen thread where you want to place the photo. Click on the picture frame in the row of images above the reply box. (6 from the RH side). The box that appears requires a URL address.
    You have to upload your photo to a free site which will provide a URL address. I use Postimage which is very simple.
    On the home page of Postimage click on 'Choose images' then find and click on the file you want to upload where you have the photo stored on your computer eg Pictures. Then click on the particular folder that holds your picture and Open it. Choose your photo, click on it and click on Open. You are now taken back to the Postimage page where you are given a choice of 9 links. Click on the URL 'Hotlink for forum' Now right click on the URL address and then click on Copy. Go back to the reply box on the Brit-Gen thread and in the URL box right click on your mouse and from the menu click on paste. The URL for your photo is now ready to be posted on the forum along with any information you have typed in to accompany it.
    There are other free sites from which to upload images with URL addresses if you want an alternative.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Who did Harry marry and do you have his parents names?

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi

To upload an image to the forums the first step is to make sure that you are in Go Advanced mode on the Brit-Gen thread where you want to place the photo. Click on the picture frame in the row of images above the reply box. (6 from the RH side). The box that appears requires a URL address.
    You have to upload your photo to a free site which will provide a URL address. I use Postimage which is very simple.
    On the home page of Postimage click on 'Choose images' then find and click on the file you want to upload where you have the photo stored on your computer eg Pictures. Then click on the particular folder that holds your picture and Open it. Choose your photo, click on it and click on Open. You are now taken back to the Postimage page where you are given a choice of 9 links. Click on the URL 'Hotlink for forum' Now right click on the URL address and then click on Copy. Go back to the reply box on the Brit-Gen thread and in the URL box right click on your mouse and from the menu click on paste. The URL for your photo is now ready to be posted on the forum along with any information you have typed in to accompany it.
    There are other free sites from which to upload images with URL addresses if you want an alternative.
    Christina
    Thank you so much Christina

Harry's mother was Elizabeth Davenport unmarried so no father listed but married a Holmes so Harry sometimes used George Holmes. He married Olive Fry 6 Aug 1923 in Stockton Heath Cheshire.

He was a Baker with the CoOperative Society in Stafford on the 1911 census and was a Baker on his Marriage certificate so he could have been in catering in the Army. I've discounted 11051 North Staffs as I've found a record where he died. Thank you so much for your help.

Try typing uk army cap badges ww1 in to a search engine. Pinterest is one of the sites to come up and you do not have to sign up to scroll through the results.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Looks like Royal Artillery to me

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Looks like Royal Artillery to me
    I agree -very blurred but I'd bet on RA.

That makes it damn near impossible, since the RA and derivatives were in every field, every theatre and attached to every front line unit of the entire Army.

Unless you know for certain a man joined either prior to WWI or on the first few weeks you should never assume they are in a regiment local to them, since men were always placed where needed, otherwise London/Manchester would have raised 200 regiments each and Lincoln half a regiment at best.
    This practice carries onto this day in fact.

Of course, he could have joined the Staffordshires and then been transferred to the RA.
    With 70% of the service records gone and only medal records in the majority surviving it's a fair chance you'll never find the correct man I am afraid, but the first thing to eliminate is every man of the same name with a surviving service or pension record.

Super Moderator

Sure you have seen the entry on the 1939 Register: Kingsley, Runcorn Road, Northwich. But Harry's birthdate is given as 1888.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Looks like R.A. but could be Army Cyclist Corps.

Keith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast