Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Census Mystery

Settling in

Default Census Mystery

According to my late mother, her grandmother Isabella emigrated to America, leaving behind her two-year old son, Henry, and husband Edward (my grandfather and great grandfather respectively). During my family tree research, I found the 1891 census showing Isabella, Edward and Henry (aged 8 years) apparently still together, so I assumed my mother had been wrong about when her father had been abandoned by his mum.

However, I recently discovered Isabella's name on the passenger list of the SS Circassia, arriving in New York on 19th Oct 1885, when my grandfather would have been two years old, just as my mother said. I am fairly convinced that it is my great grandmother, traveling under her maiden name, and aged 21. I am also convinced that Isabella did not return to Scotland.

So, how could she be included on the census 6 almost years later? Did my great grandfather lie for some reason, or would the census have recorded Isabella's name, even though she was known to be absent? I may never know for certain, but does anyone have an idea as to why she might appear on the census? Could the census recorder have asked about the boy's mother, and written her name and age (27) on the form, even though she wasn't present?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

And the surname is?
    And they were living in? (The census reference is a welcome bonus to make sure we're looking at the same entry as you.)
    Have you checked the 1881 census for Isabella whoever, aged circa 17, who would have been 21 in November 1885?
    Have you tried to check what happened to the Isabella who travelled in 1885?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Isabella Gibb is her maiden surname, born c 1864, Brickin (Brechin), Forfarshire and she married Edward Gould?
    1891 they are living in the Coachman's house in Dun, Angus.
    Edward and Isabella's marriage index 1882 shows her with the middle initial T. Whether this helps with the search or not but it needs to be noted. Do you have this certificate?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Isabella's middle initial is for Tindall. I found this birth index when looking to see how many other Isabella Gibbs were born 1862 to 1866 anywhere in Scotland because the shipping recocd only gives the place of birth as Scotland.
    1862 there are 3 birth registrations, 1864 there are 6, 1865 and 1866 one each. So the Isabella travelling in 1885 could be one of these other Isabellas.
    Christina

Added - the shipping record is also showing on ancestry as a hint for other Isabellas listed in the 1871 census.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

To add to the ideas already poted, have you considered Isabella may have travelled on a short trip back to Scotland for some reason and was visiting Edward?

A tree on Ancestry has a few of Isabella's siblings moving to the USA and settling in Edina Hennepin Minnesota, it would be worth you checking Isabella's in that area bearing in mind her surname could have changed, she could have remarried or be living with a man and using his surname.
    Alma

Settling in

Many thanks for your replies. I confess that I grossly underestimated the depth of help I would get in response to my question. I had intended just to elicit an opinion or two as to whether the 1891 census could possibly contain a false record of Isabella being back in the household (I still have some doubt that she was - based on my mother's information).

I apologise for not providing the surname in my OP, and putting you to the trouble of finding it - that was not my intention, and lesson learned - and impressed and embarrassed in equal measure. I do have a good deal of family tree for the Gibbs and Goulds. Just the disjoint between Isabella leaving Henry aged two (my mother's belief), and still being there when Henry was 8 (the documented evidence).

Many thanks again, and I'll be more careful with my next question.

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Could Edward have married again, to another Isabella?

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by barbara lee View Post
    Could Edward have married again, to another Isabella?
    Your question made me think a bit - I knew that he did marry again, and I wondered when it was. But it was not until 1905, and to Helen D Stephen.

Thank you,
    Roger.

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Sorry to flog this one, Roger, but have you looked at the 1901 census? That was before the marriage to Helen. If there are post-1891 children, you could look up their mother's maiden name and see if it was the same as for the pre-1891 children. It's the only way to be sure.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by barbara lee View Post
    Sorry to flog this one, Roger, but have you looked at the 1901 census? That was before the marriage to Helen. If there are post-1891 children, you could look up their mother's maiden name and see if it was the same as for the pre-1891 children. It's the only way to be sure.
    No problem Barbara - flog away - I appreciate any input. Henry was an only child. In 1901, Edward was recorded as a servant in a large household, while Henry was an apprentice gardener at an orphanage (I wrote to the orphanage last year but they couldn't find any record of Henry being an inmate, so the assumption is that he was employed by them). By 1911, Edward has married Helen and is listed as a coachman (his profession).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast