Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Royal Engineers, North Africa & Burma

Hi everyone, I’m Hodgy and I am trying to obtain my dad’s WWII record. Dad passed away some 20 years ago and as a small boy I always remember him being a Staff Sergeant in the TA, Royal Engineers. I even remember back in the early 50s a big tattoo which I think was British Empire, or something similar. I have vivid recollections of accompanying him to the firing range at Sealand Camp and being allowed to handle the Lee Enfield rifle.
    I have found his medals & army pay book which has a host of information including his all important service number 1880670. Try as I may I cannot find any details of him online. Most puzzling is that dad was a Burma Star holder but there is nothing showing on his record other than his service in North Africa.
    Just wondering if some kind soul could point me in the right direction so I can complete a full profile of him. I can provide photos of his service record if that would help.
    To me, my dad was a real hero as was my mum who was an ambulance driver during the Blitz.

The reason that you can't find your Father's service records on line is because the MOD has not yet released records less than 100 years for online publication. However, as his son, you have the right to buy a copy of his records, click HERE for a message about this. Note the warning about delays in red at the top.

In short, you will need his full name, his birthdate, a photocopy of his death certificate and 30 pounds, as well as their form.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much but if possible can you tell me why his service in Burma is not recorded.
    This has been a great help.

I don't know, it may just depend on when your source was written. A bit of research might shed light on it. All should become clear when you obtain his records.

In the mean time, there are other places to look - for example the Burma Star organisation. I had a quick look at the Burma Star Memorial Fund, but it's only indexed on name and regiment, not service number. Also, it's an association and if he didn't join he won't be there. Many people didn't join these associations because they just wanted to forget.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks again, I will do as you suggest. Pretty sure dad didn’t join the BSA as he certainly didn’t want to remember. In fact I can never recall him telling anything about his experiences. I really appreciate your advice. ��

Just out of curiosity, what other medals did he have?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley, I have replied to your email directly. Probably done the wrong thing but hopefully you will see the photo of dad’s medals ��

I'm not sure what you did, but I have not received a message.
    The way to contact me of-forum is to click on my name at the left of my messages, from the drop down menu choose Private Message, and then Send new message. Use my name as it's shown on my messages.
    Don't worry about it, it was just idle interest!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley,
    Sent you a PM ��

If there's a next time, you should find the message HERE useful.