Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Lancashire Quarter Session Records

This is a data set on Ancestry.

Whilst looking for something else, I came across (under "Salford" "Petitions" "Michaelmas 1823"), a long list of what we would think of as coroner's verdicts. Here they are called "INQUISITIONS", so if you are looking for Coroner Court records, that might be a useful term to remember.

Another language difference is that rather than using the expression "accidental" they use "casually". So for instance:

"An Inquisition taken at Chorlton Row the 4th day of August on view of the body of John Kelsal Heywood who was casually drowned."

I suspect that the list is so that the coroner could get paid, because against each summary there is an amount chargeable, and a note of the number of miles that the coroner would have had to travel.

Two other items contained within the Quarter Sessions records are:

Poor law removal orders, and
    Bastardy case outcomes

Thanks, Megan. I must admit that “casually drowned” sounds like a case for the law!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Thanks, Megan. I must admit that “casually drowned” sounds like a case for the law!
    That's what I thought when I first read it, but then you down the list and see its a common occurrence along with "casually fall down steps"!!