Loves to help with queries

Default Richard Alderman 18 May 1737

Hi

My paternal Grandmother told my Auntie Rowena many years ago that we are related to William of Orange...

on searching through the Taylor side of the tree, I didn't find William of Orange(Although my DNA results give the Netherlands as a possibility) yet, however, I do seem to have found William the Conqueror.

I seriously didn't expect it...But, I'm not jumping up and down yet because there are a couple of itchy areas that I want to scratch first so to speak and one has developed into a bit of a brick wall.

The line goes through the Taylors of Calverton, up through several generations of the Alderman family to Francis Alderman who married Margaret Shuckburgh then it continues through the Shuckburgh family to John Shuckburgh who married Johanna Napton, then it goes through her family to Sir Robert Napton who married Lucia Beauchamp, daughter of Guy Beauchamp, Earl, then to William Beauchamp who married Isabella Manduit, then to her mothers side to Waleran De Novoburgo and his mother Gundred is the daughter of Will De Warren, Earl, who's father is married to Gundred, supposed daughter of William the Conqueror and Matilda of Flanders.

I was actually looking up Francis Alderman's marriage when I came across the Miscellanea Et Genealogica Heraldica...which took me through the Shuckburgh family. I'd actually never heard of them before, so this has all been a bit of a find

...BUT...

I have been able to link all relationship connections so far up to the point of Richard Alderman who apparently was born/baptised in Winslow Buckinghamshire on 18 May 1737.

And then got stuck for proof docs.

What do I have on Richard so far?

I have the Christening of his daughter, Elizabeth as 2 October 1774 in Beachampton, Buckinghamshire.
    Richard's wife is Elizabeth Ironmonger and I have their wedding from the Buckinghamshire marriage index, which is 4th July 1756, in Winslow. Richard was living in East Claydon at the time of marriage and his spouse was living in Winslow and they were married by Banns and denomination is Anglican.

Richard's most probable parents are John Alderman Born Nov 1690 Great Horwood and his wife Martha Freeman, born 24 Dec 1699 Winslow, married in Grandborough, Bucks.

The problem is, although there is this supposed date of birth/baptism for Richard Alderman of 18 May 1737, I cannot find any records of where it came from. I have no document to link him to his parents. There are so many trees on various websites declaring this date, but no one seems to have a connection/document proving the date and connecting these parents to Richard.

Are you able to help please?

Thank you very much it would be really appreciated.

I have found that in a situation like this, one potential solution is to put all of the early stuff to one side (I actually have electronic and paper "to be confirmed" files) and work the confirmed data along other lines as though I had not seen the other. Sometimes I can eventually confirm the link, sometimes I find that the person with the website has made an error...
    Sad story - because my afrikaaner ancestors often had 4-5 forenames, when someone contacted me and gave me a link to a man I was stuck on, with his birth year and 5 forenames, I thought it was probably safe. A year later, I was working on his wife's family and found that there were actually 2 men - 2nd cousins - with different wives and of course I was tracking the wrong one.

Remember that the further back you get, the more likely it is that documents have not survived for many reasons - fire, damp, acid ink, maybe someone even used the back for another reason.

If you got the connection to Richard from a website, why not ask the site owner for their source?

Thank you...

That's exactly why I do more research on the connections. You don't know if you are connecting the right people to the right line. There are lots of people in the world with the same name, especially back then because they all named children after someone...and this is my problem. There is no source that I can see of where the date came from. When a search is made from any of the websites with genealogy on them, no one has the source for his date of birth/Christening...so where has it come from?

There are lots of trees on ancestry, familysearch, fmp etc who have the family on there, but I can't see any with the source...who copied who? where did the original come from? How do I find a source or find the original person who first put the date on the internet?

Or am I still completely missing the point?
    At the minute, with Covid restrictions, I am limited physically what I can do to seek it out. I live miles away too...and so the oly resources I have is on the internet...so where do I find the answer?

Thank you for your time.

I have just written an email to the Buckinghamshire Archives to ask for their help.
    Hopefully they will have knowledge of a source if indeed Richard is the same Richard.

Thank you.

With sites such as Ancestry (and the others), I trust their extracted database, but unless a posted tree is by someone whose work I know, or is fully annotated with sources, it goes into the "to be confirmed" files.

Going back to that afrikaaner tale of woe, that was in the early stages of putting stuff on line and I happily gave about 4 generations of that line to someone else. When I found the error, I informed them, but by then, they had copied it to the web (without saying where they got it). I still, over 20 years later, see that dud connection pop up.

Family Search is better now than it was, but I don't trust any system that doesn't have some sort of quality control built in.

PS Have just seen your post #4. Good thinking!

If I find the same connection with different sources from 2 different sources, it starts to look better. I lost a year's work because I didn't check carefully enough, which taught me a lesson, but everyone must decide how high their burden of proof must be.

Thank you. I have had the automatic response to my email but it could be a while before hearing...I will come back and let you know what the response is if ur interested.

Thanks again.

I have received confirmation of the baptism of Richard Alderman and his parents John Alderman and Martha Freeman. I am now working on the link between John Alderman and his Potential father William and Mother Elizabeth. John's baptism has got parents Wm and Eliz on it, but that doesn't tell me their surnames. I think its probable that William's surname is Alderman, but I still have to find marriage details etc to confirm or the actual register to give more info.
    John's Baptism info is: 22 Nov 1690 Great Horwood, Buckinghamshire, England. His possible Parents are William George Alderman 1660 Great Horwood and Elizabeth Gulielm 1659 Great Horwood. This is the info on other trees, but they don't have sources. I want to find the sources.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!