Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to next?

Famous for offering help & advice

There’s a marraige of an Elizabeth Yates to Cecil Snead in Chester Q1 1907.

There’s a tree also with this marraige which has Cecil dying Oct 1907.And then has the marraige to Albert John Porter 1908.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    There’s a marraige of an Elizabeth Yates to Cecil Snead in Chester Q1 1907.

There’s a tree also with this marraige which has Cecil dying Oct 1907.And then has the marraige to Albert John Porter 1908.
    Thanks for looking at this Pamelawagster. I had to leave it before I got around to a first marriage.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Given his age and the fact that he had another job, could the entry be referring to the territorial army?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_An...nited_Kingdom)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    With them on the 1939 register is a son Jabez Porter born 10 April 1915. On the GRO index his birth is registered with the mother's maiden name Snead as is Samuel's born 1920.
    Marriage John Albert Porter to Elizabeth Snead Dec 1/4 1908 registration district W. Bromwich vol 6b page 1451
    Do you have this marriage certificate? What is Albert John's occupation?
    From the records I have seen it looks as if John Albert swapped his first names around as he was baptised as Albert John, father Samuel and mother Margaret Alice. Birth registered as Albert John. There are many trees on ancestry who have John Albert's wife as an Elizabeth Yates but I can't see a birth reg on the GRO index for a Jabez Porter mmn Yates. I know this is not answering your query but I am trying to establish who your man is and just exactly when he served and this background stuff may help with that. If he served after 1920 then his service record will still be with the MoD abd you can apply for them giving just his birth date and a copy of his death certificate. You will need 30 pounds and a shed load of patience as the waiting time at the moment can be 12 months or more. This 'sticky' explains and gives links to the UK gov site.
    There is a death registration W. Bromwhich June 1/4 1946 for a John A Porter age 58 which fits your man's details especially as he is using John as his first name in 1939.
    Christina

No, no marriage certificate yet, however, yes Elizabeth Porter ( Maternal Grandmother ) was married to Snead, as my mothers birth certificate has the three surnames on it, listed under mothers name
    Elizabeth Porter late Snead formerly Yates,
    then lists Albert John Porter with an occupation of Bolter Down which would match the 1939 census.

As to his service Wiki just confuses me! Would the 4th AA Regiment be the same thing as the 4th AA Division?

Looks like spending out to find numbers for both my father and grandfathers service numbers

Thanks everyone for the help and pointers so far

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Given his age and the fact that he had another job, could the entry be referring to the territorial army?

This would be my original thought, especially given the note "incapacitated" following "Bolter Down", though I would wonder what incapacity would have enabled him to serve in any form?

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

"father and grandfathers service numbers" - the service numbers are not needed to apply for their service records, just Date of birth - see - https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records - looking at the form for details of deceased service person- it states service number and/or date of birth must be included. The records will then provide the service number.
    regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

re #15. A lot depends on when he became incapable... Also, it depends what the incapacity was. Many men who were not fit enough to fight were used as clerks, admin, etc, possibly freeing fitter men for the Front.

For example, if "Bolter Down" was a heavy occupation, an amputee, even in those days, would have been perfectly able to do other things, just not the job he was trained for.

I've just found a post on the Sheffield Forum saying that the actual term was "belter down", and others saying that it's from the steel industry, one of the team involved when the steel plates first come out of the furnaces to cool. Apparently each mill had their own names for the various jobs.
    If that's what he was doing, he'd not be able to continue after a long term injury AND the injury may have come from his civilian work.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thankyou all for the suggestions and pointers, would anyone know if I send the details and £30 to the The Army Personnel Centre would they have TA records as well or would they be under a different application?
    Thanks Mike

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    re #15. A lot depends on when he became incapable... Also, it depends what the incapacity was. Many men who were not fit enough to fight were used as clerks, admin, etc, possibly freeing fitter men for the Front.

For example, if "Bolter Down" was a heavy occupation, an amputee, even in those days, would have been perfectly able to do other things, just not the job he was trained for.

I've just found a post on the Sheffield Forum saying that the actual term was "belter down", and others saying that it's from the steel industry, one of the team involved when the steel plates first come out of the furnaces to cool. Apparently each mill had their own names for the various jobs.
    If that's what he was doing, he'd not be able to continue after a long term injury AND the injury may have come from his civilian work.
    Re the occupation of Bolter Down, did find this about the 1921 census,
    A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921.
    https://doot.spub.co.uk/code.php?value=178

bolter-down
    (i) (Midlands), see breaker-down;
    (ii) (Northern Counties), see roughing roller.

breaker-down ; bolter-down (Midlands)
    (i) (plate mill) a cogger q.v. engaged in rolling steel ingots into plates;
    (ii) (sheet mill) under roller; a roughing roller q.v. who rolls thick bars into plates ready for sheet roller q.v. to roll into sheets; sometimes also does work of matcher (279) q.v.

It does explain why I couldn’t find him on the military pensions list... If it was a bad enough occupational accident, it might have made the local papers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast