Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Church of Scotland clergy

Is there somewhere online where I could track down the education and career of Rev M B Lang, Church of Scotland, who was also the chaplain attached to the 3rd Highland Field Ambulance (TF)(based in Dundee) in the Army List of August 1914? I have found several articles in online newspapers which refer to his church activities but they only refer to him by his initials. Many thanks for any help you can give. David

Have you tried the 1911 census?
    Did he survive the war?
    And do the papers name his Churches? CoS Ministers tend to be identified by their parishes.
    I’ve seen several Ministers mentioned in parish reports in the local papers when they went off to war.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, and for your interesting point about identifying such clergy by their parishes. Is there, online, anything like 'Crockford's' for the CoS?

There is a series of books called "Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae" or FastiScot which is essentially the Who's Who of the Church of Scotland. You can download it from the Internet Archive or Google Books.

I have checked volume 8, which is essentially the update book from after WW1, and I think that I have found him. The only MB Lang is Marshall Buchanan Lang. He's at the Parish of Whittinghame, Presbytry of Dunbar, to which he transferred fr St John's Dundee on 14 Nov 1818. Doctor of Divinity from Glasgow in 1830. Moderator of he General Assembly of the Kirk in 1935. His daughters both married army officers (names & dates in the entry).

Is he a relative?

Found him pre-war in FastiScot vol 5, Fife, Angus & Mearns. Page 329-330.
    It's a fairly long entry - nearly a whole column, and the scan I have is a bit to over=-exposed to copy paste anyway, so you'll have to get the download for the whole thing. However, here's the gist:
    Born Glasgow 1 Apr 1868. son of John Marshall. {Education details} licensed by Presb Glasgow 1890, {various junior posts} His Edinburgh post was St Bernards 1891-95 followed by Old Meldrum 1895. Chaplain to the Forces in Forth Coast Defence and Aberdeen Coast Defence, & 1st & 2nd Scottish General Hospitals during European War. 1918 to Whittinhame.
    Mar Mary Eleanor Farquarson 1921 {her father; 5 children's names & births}

If you're tracking the family, this is all within the time limits for birth, marriage & death certificates and the census, all to be downloaded for a small fee from Scotlands People.

PS I just went to the Internet Archive to look for Angus & Mearns to see if they have a better scan. If you go there, search on fasti ecclesiae. It should return 51 hits (lots of other Churches so scroll through), you want vols 5 and 8 of the Scottish one.
    PPS They did have a better scan of vol 5. On my search it came up as the last file with a black cover, property of Kingston.

There's an obit for his mother in the Aberdeen Press & Journal of 6 Jan 1921.

It says 6 sons & 1 daughter (Fasti mentioned 2 girls). Son 2 was Archbishop of York. Your guy was number 3. Interesting family - according to Fasti, her father was secretary of the Episcopal Church, son 2 must have been cofE, and number 3 CoS.
    Mind you, the Scotsman says she had 4 sons.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for drawing attention to the "Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae", and for the biographical notes which you have researched. Very kind. He is not a relative, my interest is in an ecclesiastical sphere.

Then you might want to note that the Mother’s obit says that another of his brothers was Bishop of Leicester.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you. Norman was Suffragan Bishop of Leicester; Cosmo Gordon was Archbishop of Canterbury 1928-42, having previous served as ABofY 1908-28. With Marshall being Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in 1935, and his father thus in 1893, they were, indeed, a formidable ecclesiastical family.

And his father in law was high in the Scottish Episcopalian Church.

Was this swapping of denominations common in the 19th century? I’m working on a One Place Study, and one of the men started in the CoS, moved to the CoE and ended up a Jesuit. In all cases, he moved from major library to major library, ending at the Vatican!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast