Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face Help to find a marriage certificate from 1904

Hello everyone,

I am looking for the marriage certificate of Charles Auguste HOFFER with Marie HYON, which took place in 1904.

I have found a marriage registry which mentions their union which took place at St George Hanover Square, London. However I am looking for a more detailed document which would include the date and birthplace of Charles and Marie.

Can anyone help me to find this document?

I'm a French citizen living in France and it is very difficult for me to find the right websites in the UK to find this document.

Thank you for your help.

Catherine.

First Name Charles A. Hoffer
    Marriage Quarter 2
    Year 1904
    to Maria Augustine Hyon
    County London
    Country England
    Volume 1A
    Page 1063

this is the information needed to buy the Marriage certificate

go to Goverment web site follow the instruction and order online
    https://www.gov.uk

Peanut
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 20-03-2021 at 5:37 PM. Reason: Corrected bride's surname.

I am looking for a more detailed document which would include the date and birthplace of Charles and Marie.
    Hi Catherine and welcome to the British Genealogy Forums.

Marriage certificates don't give birthplaces, they give where the couple was living at the time of marriage.

There's an online baptism for their son Robert Auguste Henrie Hoffer at Farnham St Andrew, Surrey 10th Aug 1905, their address then was Frensham Place.

If they didn't marry in a church their marriage certificate won't be online, in which case you will have to buy it from the GRO, details for ordering posted at #2 by peanut.
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

The marriage certificate will not give you information about the birthplace or date of birth, but it may give you an age for the parties. Be aware that "Full age" means 21 years but it may not be true. One of my ancestors said full age but she was only 17!pwholt

A fountain of knowledge

I googled Charles Auguste Hoffer and there are two entries from Family Search. Below two extracts but click on each for further info. (as I can't copy it!)

Charles Auguste HOFFER was born on 20 July 1881, in Carouge, Geneva, Switzerland as the son of Jean Samuel Jules HOFFER. He had at least 2 sons with Marie Augustine HYON. He died on 5 May 1960, in Collonge-Bellerive, Geneva, Switzerland, at the age of 78.

Marie Augustine HYON was born in 1874, in Vierzon, Cher, Centre-Val de Loire, France. She had at least 2 sons with Charles Auguste HOFFER. She died on 23 August 1963, in Cartigny, Geneva, Switzerland, at the age of 89

Two children listed are Robert Auguste born 1905 and Maurice Johannes Charles 1913-1989
    Hope correct family. Jill

A fountain of knowledge

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
    HOFFER, ROBERT AUGUSTE HYON
    GRO Reference: 1905 J Quarter in FARNHAM Volume 02A Page 161

Can't see birth of second child Maurice born 1913 but also couldn't see the 1911 census but then
    I'm not very good at this!

A fountain of knowledge

This explains why I couldn't find Maurice's birth or on the 1911 census!!

When Maurice Johannès Charles HOFFER was born on 30 January 1913, in Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland, his father, Charles Auguste HOFFER, was 31 and his mother, Marie Augustine HYON, was 39. He married Simone Jeanine BRASSAMIN on 9 November 1950, in Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland. He died on 31 December 1989, in Thônex, Geneva, Switzerland, at the age of 76.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Birth certificat.

Hello Gilian, Thank you very much for looking. I still have work for you ;-) I am looking for the birth certificate of Jeanne Marguerite Fournier born in London on June 26, 1897. Could you tell me how I can get it and the possible price.
    thank you very much in advance,
    Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    This explains why I couldn't find Maurice's birth or on the 1911 census!!

When Maurice Johannès Charles HOFFER was born on 30 January 1913, in Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland, his father, Charles Auguste HOFFER, was 31 and his mother, Marie Augustine HYON, was 39. He married Simone Jeanine BRASSAMIN on 9 November 1950, in Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland. He died on 31 December 1989, in Thônex, Geneva, Switzerland, at the age of 76.

A fountain of knowledge

CATHERINE

I believe this is the birth you seek but please note it's for 1897 - using the GRO Index ie
    the Index for the General Register Office

FOURNIER, JEANNE MARGUERITE HYON
    GRO Reference: 1897 S Quarter in ST GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE Volume 01A Page 489
    That means the Mother's maiden name (mmn) was Hyon

See post 2 by Peanut re how to order the certificate. I understand that now one can
    get a pdf which is cheaper than a formal certificate but please refer to the site as it may not be
    applicable to Marriages. I did try to find marriage of the parents but at quick search couldn't.

I thought Fournier would be an unusual surname but not so! Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    CATHERINE

I believe this is the birth you seek but please note it's for 1897 - using the GRO Index ie
    the Index for the General Register Office

FOURNIER, JEANNE MARGUERITE HYON
    GRO Reference: 1897 S Quarter in ST GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE Volume 01A Page 489
    That means the Mother's maiden name (mmn) was Hyon

See post 2 by Peanut re how to order the certificate. I understand that now one can
    get a pdf which is cheaper than a formal certificate but please refer to the site as it may not be
    applicable to Marriages. I did try to find marriage of the parents but at quick search couldn't.

I thought Fournier would be an unusual surname but not so! Jill
    "Thank you very much for your help, Gilian"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast