Default Occupation on 1871 Census

Hi, I have a small screen shot of a word I can't read but I can't see how to attach it to this post. Any help on how to do this?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cherylhutton79 View Post
    Hi, I have a small screen shot of a word I can't read but I can't see how to attach it to this post. Any help on how to do this?
    How about you give us the name of the person , date of birth, family etc and someone will have a look. They may be able to read it. Meanwhile have you found this person on other census records and does the occupation change at all?

There is a sticky thread on how to post images in the Navigating BG section here.

If you have any problems then give us the census reference - many of us will be able to find the image from that.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

OK I'm not sure if this is the correct info for you to find it but let me know if not:
    1871 census
    Registration district Uxbridge
    Sub-registration district Hillingdon
    ED, institution, or vessel 7
    Household schedule number 36
    Piece 1308
    Folio 40
    Page number 5

suemalings - it's one of the records we were looking at yesterday. John Mason has the same occupation as a few other people on the page but I can't work out what it says.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Believe it or not, I reckon it says 'Lab r', as in labourer.

On FMP, I blew the image up to 1168% and by chance looked at the first line in the pccupation column.
    The last letter 'r' is on its own.

Two pages earlier, the first entry on the page (Thomas somebody), is a landlord and the 'La' is written exactly the same way as the beginning of John's occupation.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam, I have to say I did wonder if it was labourer but I thought I was seeing things that weren't there haha