Settling in

Default Searching for Ronald and Clifford Bonner

Can anyone help me please with these two gentlemen?
    They were both born in Wolverhampton toAlfred and Annie Bonner and I am writing up the family history. Since they are all deceased I cannot get information regarding their service in the Army.
    Ronald Served in Korea in the Royal Welch Fusiliers
    Clifford served (I believe) in Suez possibly in the South Staffs regiment.
    I have been chasing my tails for day now trying to nail down some details so that I can pay for any record available to me. Can anyone help me along please?
    Thank you in advance.
    Mike

Do you, even roughly, know their ages? Your post is a little short of dates.

Your best bet would probably be to buy copies of their service records from the MOD, to do that you need their names, birth dates, 30 pounds (each) and copies of their death certificates. If you look at the top of our WW2 Forum, there’s an article on getting service records from after 1921.

What relationship to you were they?

Settling in

They were my wifes uncles. I have their dates of birth and dates of death but I cannot work out that Gov form for love nor money.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Note that full service records are closed to the general public for twenty-five years after the death of the serviceman/woman. To receive the records within that period you have to be either next of kin or else have the written permission of the next of kin, otherwise you will receive only certain information.
    Scroll down to 'What is held'.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-...vice-personnel

If you fail the next of kin criteria wait two or three more months before applying for Ronald's records, then you will get the full one. You will have a few more years to wait for Clifford's full record.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejc View Post
    They were my wifes uncles. I have their dates of birth and dates of death but I cannot work out that Gov form for love nor money.
    This is the form you want.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...ce_details.pdf

Note, that as they are your wife's relations then she is the one who has to apply for the records.
    After filling in her name and address, etc, the next section is all the next of kin, and they are listed in 'closeness' to the serviceman. So if Ronald's wife is still alive, you tick the spouse box, then she has to complete paragraph (b) so that it reads along the lines of I Bambino Bonnor am the immediate next of kin of Ronald Bonnor and give consent to to the MOD to disclose to [your wife's name] the Record of Service of my late husband. Ronald's widow then signs and dates it, and fills in her address, etc.
    If Ronald's wife has died, then the authority to give permission for your wife to apply the passes to a son or daughter, then grandchild, etc. When I applied for one of my uncle's records I had to get his brother to give me permission.

You also need to complete this form which has the details about the serviceman whose records you are applying for.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...art2_final.pdf

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Many many thanks Pam. Maike