Knowledgeable and helpful

Thumbs up Travel to America

Hi all. At an inquest in 1877 a witness stated that one of the deceased's (my gg grandfather)children was in America. My subscription doesn't give me access to international records or most passenger lists.. I'm not even sure what, if anything, is available. I would be grateful for any help or advice on how I can check this out
    Thanks

If you give us the name, birth date, birth place and place of death of your ancestor I am sure someone will have a look for you. Did it name the child who was living in America?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks. I have all the details of said ancestor and family, both before his death and the rest of the family going forward. It's just this mention of one of his children being in America. The surname was Goring and the children were Emily, born 1861, Sarah Ann b. 1863, Mary Ellen b. 1865, Margaret b. 1868, Lucy b. 1870, Thomas b. 1873 and Martha b.1875. Elizabeth was a baby in 1877, so not her, and I'm thinking it would have been one of the older ones. They are all in the UK in the 1881. The older children were born in Shropshire, the three youngest in Monmouthshire. When I originally read the inquest report, I noted the info but didn't pursue it. Now, having researched this branch inside out, I'm just curious to find out who went to America. The report didn't name the child, just mentioned them and .."one of whom was in America.."

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by carolchipp View Post
    Thanks. I have all the details of said ancestor and family, both before his death and the rest of the family going forward. It's just this mention of one of his children being in America. The surname was Goring and the children were Emily, born 1861, Sarah Ann b. 1863, Mary Ellen b. 1865, Margaret b. 1868, Lucy b. 1870, Thomas b. 1873 and Martha b.1875. Elizabeth was a baby in 1877, so not her, and I'm thinking it would have been one of the older ones. They are all in the UK in the 1881. The older children were born in Shropshire, the three youngest in Monmouthshire. When I originally read the inquest report, I noted the info but didn't pursue it. Now, having researched this branch inside out, I'm just curious to find out who went to America. The report didn't name the child, just mentioned them and .."one of whom was in America.."
    Are these the children of Thomas and Sarah?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by carolchipp View Post
    There is a Martha too on the 1881 census, age 5. I cannot see Emily though so presume she married?

Super Moderator

Looks like the family may have been in Preston in 1991. Sarah is a widow. Emily age 30, Sarah Ann 27, Mary E 25, Margaret 22, Thomas 17, Martha 15, Elizabeth 13 and Leonard (Grandson) who is 5. In 1901 they are still in Preston, Emily, Leonard, Sarah, (mother) Sarah A, Mary E, Margaret, Martha and Elizabeth Onto 1911 still in Preston where Leonard was born, Sarah (grandmother to Leonard, mother to others) Emily, Sarah Ann, Mary, Margaret, Elizabeth. Apart from Emily and Sarah snr. they all work in the cotton mill. Leonard is an Elementary Teacher. So Emily did not marry but it looks like Martha may have done

Yes, Martha did marry. Emily, my g. grandmother, didn't. She was in service in 1881, also in Preston. If one of them had been in America it would have been prior to their father's death, which occurred in 1877.

Growing old Disgracefully

If this was an obituary in the newspaper remember its only as good as was told to the news paper.

My Mums Aunt died in Canada in her newspaper obituary it said she had twin boys and a daughter Jane. No she did not she had a son by another man before she was married, When she got married to her Husband and had another son they went to live in Canada. The first son was fostered and then sent to one of the Home Farms in Australia. No daughter was born to her. We have found all records for all the family and have photos of them all. We though at first the daughter was a mistake and referred to her daughter-in-law but her name was not Jane, also said had died before the death of her mother.

This was a newspaper report of what one of the witnesses (who knew the deceased well) had said at the inquest...and he could have been wrong, I know. Emily appears to be living in with the family she worked for in 1881, so she may already have been in Preston in 1877 and the witness thought she'd gone overseas. It doesn't really affect anything either way...just tying up loose ends and satisfying my curiosity.