Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Roddie Maclennan

I am stuck on this man. He appears at my Granfather' funeral (James Charles POWELL) in April 1963. He is listed in the attendees as a cousin. I was a schoolboy at the time and was not permitted to attend the funeral.

A few months later he appeared at our home in Weymouth as a visitor, this being the first of many visits until my father's death (Howard George POWELL) in 1974. He was always alone and I can only assume that he was a single man. He was Scottish and was said to be the Medical Officer of Health for the Shetland Isles. He apparently was a regular on the ferry from Lerwick to the msinland.

Agewise he seemed to around the same age as my father (1909 - 1974) but that would not make him a cousin to my Grandfather but possibly to my father. He is not connected by any of the POWELL siblings of my Grandfather so I am stuck. I am aware of one Roddie MacLennan listed as born 1908 and possibly dying in the 1980s but know nothing about him.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mervyn Powell

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    I’m not surprised that this is a brick wall. There is so little to make this RM stand out from the crowd! Also, the fact that people often say “cousin” when they mean 2nd (or more) cousin.
    Have you searched for a list of Medical Officers for Shetland? That seems to be the firmest piece of information attached to him!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for that.

Where will I find these records ??? The Archives for Scotland ??? Also records for Doctors qualifying must be held somewhere. Any suggestions welcomed.

Mervyn

The Royal College of General Practicioners has a guide to researching your medical ancestors Here
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The Shetland FDHS is to be found HEREhttps://www.shetland-fhs.org.uk/.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you again. Unfortunately the Shdtland FHS couldn't fi d znything. I will now look at the Medical records provided.