Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Trying to find my father's WW2 records

Trying to find my father William Collins Dobie,s medal entitlements from his military service during ww2. I am having difficulty in carrying out this research. Not really a user of internet.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. The reason that you can't find much on your father is that the MOD (Ministry of Defence) has not yet released post 1921 records for publication on the Web for privacy reasons. This is the reason that we do not allow personal details about (potentially) living people to be published on BG.
    Fortunately, if the relative is no longer with us, next of kin can buy a copy of the records. There is a message about the process HERE (click on the blue word). If your father is alive, he can get a copy free. If you do apply, you need to provide his full name, date of birth, 30 pounds and a copy of his death certificate. Please pay attention to the text in red about delays at the top of the other message.

If you carry on with research into your family, you may find the message HERE about helping us to help you useful.

Please don't worry if you make a mistake. You can always ask one of the Mods (Moderators) to correct spelling, or something like that. We're easy to find - look at the text between my name & photo on the left.
    I'm going to add a couple of words to the title of your thread as it looks unfinished at the moment!

Enjoy!

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

hi

Did he serve for Australia or Britain, just noting where you come from?
    Different answer for Australian WW2 records.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.