Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Israel and Eve Alexander

Hello,
    I’m looking for information about the early lives of my ancestors Israel & Eve Alexander.

Israel Alexander - born c1787 in Shadwell (according to census), later lived in Finsbury, auctioneer and horse dealer
    Eve / Eva Alexander - born c1786 in London, I don’t know her birth name (possibly Aarons but I can’t find a reliable source for this)

In 1841 according to the census they were living in Chiswell-Street, Finsbury with their younger children. I have more information about their lives after this point, but very little before.

I’m ideally looking for help with
    1) Any marriage records (I don’t know the date but probably before 1807 based on ages of children etc)
    2) Possible parents’ names

I’m quite new to genealogy so I really appreciate any help. I understand that this isn’t much information to go on so any general pointers would be great too.
    G

As a start take a look at JewishGen UK Data bases. Israel appears in several records including the 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base ID 30031. There are earlier records including 1831. I can't see a marriage record as yet but I will look further. Have you already looked on Synagogue Scribes records- I took a quick look but couldn't see them. Eva maybe Eve looking at the Petra Laidlaw 1851 notes on JewishGen.
    I have an interest in Alexander and Aarons last names because of marriages into some of my own lines and am always looking further for possible further links.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

See also Cemetery Scribes Israel Alexander ID 3018 and the death record for Flora. In this record Israel dob is given as 1791 and Flora b 1821.

Thank goodness you are on the case Phillip
    I did try some searching yesterday but I need a lot more practice just in the basics of Jewish genealogy research so I will start by reading some of your previous threads for hints and links.
    Christina

Added: Have now got a Jewish Genealogy folder with quite a few Jewish records links in there.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Always happy to help if I can Christina.
    I noted that Lewis Alexander son of Israel and Eve/Eva married Flora Aarons. Her parents are Jacob Aarons and Abigail Mendez Alvares- see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 009 for Jacob Alexander died 1831. This record provides names on the various relatives.
    What is interesting is the Church of England marriage of Lewis and Flora in 1828 St.Mathew Brixton Surrey where Jacob Aarons is a witness.

See also Rookwood Jewish Cemetery Sydney NSW for the tombstones of Flora and Lewis. See also the Probate of Israel Alexander 1852.
    The question is whether or not Flora Aarons is related to Eve/Eva if she is also an Aarons. Often, Aaron and Aarons last names can be used as in my own lines.

Thank you so much for your interest and help Phillip. I did find a newspaper article a while ago which suggested that Lewis and his wife Flora Aarons were cousins but couldn’t find anything else to back this up. I’ll have another look tonight at the websites you’ve mentioned. Could you tell me where I can find the probate for Israel?
    G

I am happy to support. If you look on Synagogue Scribes site under Secular Records you will see the Will Extracts including those of Jacob Aarons.I have also read the full will on Ancestry.Co. This line has origins in Jamaica and further research is needed to identify Sephardic roots. I don't have access to the Bevis Marks records which contain thousands of Sephardic records but there are Jamaica records. I have yet to look on Familysearch records for the Jewish records.

I have wondered if Israel Alexander married in a Sephardic ceremony which is why there are no Great Synagogue or Hambro records- this is speculation. In addition, why did Lewis marry in a Church of England ceremony which suggests they wanted a civil ceremony and may well have married also in a later Jewish ceremony.
    Was the newspaper article in the Australian Newspaper Records ( Trove collection)?

I have also looked at the United Synagogue Burial Records and JewishGen burial records but can't see any for Israel Alexander or Jacob Aarons.
    I will look further.
    Nb Usually, the ketubah or Marriage Contract/record was given to the bride and not held by the Synagogue particularly in the early days. However, if the marriage was Sephardic then there should be a record in the registers.

The marriage records (and lack thereof) are definitely intriguing. I believe that at least 1 of Israel & Eve’s children married at the Great Synagogue (Marian). Lots to look into.

The newspaper article I referred to is from the London Evening Standard, 23 March 1830 (I found it on FindMyPast’s newspaper archive).

“The wife of the prisoner, an interesting-looking young lady, here stepped forward, or was rather called forward and said her husband was also her cousin. Her father was a merchant in Jamaica and she was without a protector.”

((The prisoner being Lewis Alexander and the young woman Flora Aarons))

I’d be interested to hear anything else you find, especially about the Jamaican and Sephardic roots.

I see from the Old Bailey Trials online reference to Israel Alexander including 1823 where Eve states "I am the wife of Israel Alexander,livery stable keeper.."
    1826 Israel Alexander - " I live in Chiswell Street Finsbury... Horse dealer"
    1840 Saunders Alexander.."I am the son of Israel Alexander who is in partnership with my sister ..they live in Chiswell Street.." Aaron Alexander also appeared and stated he was the brother of Saunders.

In 1851 Census Israel is recorded as being born Shadwell but this may or may not be accurate.
    I have been looking at London Traders on JewishGen to see if there was any potential father of Israel but more data is needed and there maybe no link between the trade of Israel as a horse keeper/livery keeper and his father's trade.

With regard to Jacob Aarons the Will Extract suggests his father was Abraham Katsov and also see BSGSBUR 440/3345 Catherine Aarons burial 1822 Duke Street Aldgate -father Abraham b Jacob Aaron Katsov/butcher.

The use of patronymic names needs to be considered in the research.

I can't locate Israel Alexander in the 1841 Census but may have overlooked the family.
    Can you post this census?

See the American Jewish First Families genealogies which have Alexander/Aarons/Aron/Arons- this is an online website.

I believe Israel’s name was mistranscribed in the 1841 census but it should appear if you search for Eve instead. They’re both living at the Chiswell Street, St Luke address with children Henrietta, Flora, Eliza and Samuel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast