Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a follow up to my last post regarding Levy Alexander and the Alexander who was a broker in Shadwell.
    The eldest son of Israel was Lewis Alexander. The Ashkenazi naming tradition usually names the first born male after a deceased paternal grandfather and the second son after a deceased maternal grandfather.
    Lewis is often used as the Anglicised name from Lev/Levy.
    The name Levy Alexander appears in earlier London records including Wapping 1735 and Broker "The Star" Cow Cross West Smithfield 1761-1769.
    The term 'broker' can refer to different trades involving getting a commission from buying and selling goods.Israel had an early involvement in the horse trade and it maybe that his father and grandfather were brokers in that trade buying and selling horses. This is speculation but the Shadwell address would be worth further exploration.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Thanks for your insights into Jewish marriage and naming traditions.

Levy Alexander seems to be a promising lead, especially with the connection to Shadwell. I believe Israel Alexander was also referred to as a broker in one of the earlier sources (1810ish?) but I can’t find that right now.

I’ll look into the Jewish Chronicle articles you mentioned, as well as the post on Reuben Alexander. Regarding the King’s Bench case, I have a screenshot of the newspaper article if it’s possible to share that somehow on this forum? It doesn’t contain much information except for what I wrote earlier though.

I think that the clues to your line relate to the West Smithfield address and the horse trade. The Smithfield Market had Friday for the horse trade but there were other local areas where the horse trade flourished.
    If you would like to read more about the importance of the horse trade and see online Ph.D thesis Horses and Livestock in Hanovarian London. T. Almeroth-Williams 2013. This thesis includes a map of the area showing where the trade was conducted.
    I subscribe to the Jewish Chronicle and Archive plus hold copies of The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, Publisher Robert Boyd- 2 volumes 1861-70; -80

For your own records and to help others here is the Berger entries for the Alexander and associated families based on Ancestry public family trees.
    Death- ELIZABETH RUSSELL 19.11.1870 after great and prolonged suffering, beloved wife of ISRAEL RUSSELL 33 Montague Place Bedford Square aged 70 years... Misses ALEXANDER,ABRAHAM ALEXANDER,MRS EMRICK
    Death Wednesday 20.7.1864 aged 54...ABRAHAM ALEXANDER

It would prove useful to check records at the London Metropolitan Archives when it re-opens for your Alexander and Aarons.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123