Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thank you. I did locate Israel in 1841. Here is more data which may help- See The London Gazette Archives online- looking at the records I suspect that the early one dated 1810 refers to Israel. I say this because by 1837 he has established with Lewis and Marian a large coach business called Quick Silver coaches. These coaches operating from different parts of the country including Brighton- the Company was Alexander and Company. In the 1810 record there is Israel Alexander formerly of Nottingham Place Mile End New Town Middlesex and Brighthelmstone Sussex coachmaster- Kings Bench Prison Bankrupt
    See also his bankrupt details 1824 where he is a Stable keeper,Horse dealer,and Chapman

Key question, how did he get into the horse and coach business and does this link with his father/relatives?
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

More data- see National Archives UK Alexander v Alexander - Plaintiff Lewis Alexander v Israel Alexander
    Criminal Petitions-Lewis Alexander age 30 Omnibus driver- parents Israel and Eve Alexander

Just found a possible father’s name: Samuel Alexander

According to the London Star, 11 July 1809:
    - The King vs Samuel Alexander, 8 July, Court of King’s Bench
    - “This was an indictment charging the defendant with perjury... where he gave evidence as a witness on behalf of his son Israel Alexander.”
    - Suggests they may have been in partnership at some point (doesn’t state the specific profession)

It’s unclear whether this is the right Israel Alexander (although I don’t think there were many others of his name during this period). Samuel does appear to be a family name too. Something to look into, anyway.

There is a Samuel Alexander Gent.19 Finsbury Street Chiswell Street 24.5.1825 London Insurance Records.
    You might want to check the address/last name.

Default ISRAEL ALEXANDER

Have you looked at the various newspaper articles on Israel including the incident where Lewis threatened to shoot his father. The earliest article I have seen so far is for 1803. Looking at all the articles todate Israel was a coach driver then set up business in coaching and allied trades dealing with horses. His business also included his children in partnership. This appears at one stage to have been a large business and well known.

What we lack is data on his siblings/parents. The Mendes Alvares are Sephardic Jews but there is no indication that the Alexander and Aarons are other than Ashkenazi Jews as in my own lines. I have spent over 20 years researching my lines which has given me a wide range of data on the various family names including Aarons/Aron/Aaron and Alexander. I do have access to the Jewish Chronicle Archives 1841- to present plus a range of other records but the problem is locating the early records.
    I am still looking.

I have speculated as to whether or not Israel married in Brighton and elsewhere other than London.

As a further help, the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain has a major collection of family trees in their library collection. You can see the index online plus further updates. You can see that Aarons and Alexander family trees have been submitted by researchers. There is no first name to identify whether or not your lines are part of the collection but if you could get to London in the future you could take a look at the records. In addition, the Society of Genealogists London have the Hyamson and Collyer Fergusson Anglo Jewry family trees. I have visited and seen some of my lines which proved a great help tracing the families. Of course, not all lines are recorded and numbers of my main lines were not listed. However, if you look at associated families you can pick up details which lead you to other links.

Thanks for letting me know about the Jewish Genealogical Society resources, a trip to London is definitely in order once we get out of lockdown.

The newspaper archives have been the main source of my knowledge so far about Israel Alexander (after the census records). He certainly lived a colourful life! My personal favourite news article is about the time he drove a mail coach and horses through the inside of a bookshop for a bet. I’m still working on putting together all the separate pieces of information I’ve gained about his career but your summary seems accurate.

It’s such a shame that marriage records between Israel & Eve are proving elusive as they could potentially answer so many questions regarding family etc. You mention that the Mendes Alvarez are Sephardic Jews - would marriage between Sephardic & Ashkenazi Jews have been common/ accepted during this period? Apologies if this is an ignorant question, my family tree is roughly 90% Christian and I only became aware of our Jewish roots recently so following this line of my family is something of a learning curve.
    G

There were early marriages between Sephardic and Ashkenazi Jews but it was not common for the time you are researching. The situation started to change over time and you can see also marriages between Jews and non Jews but many families would not be happy if this occurred. I have seen numbers of Wills where the Testator makes explicit that any bequests would be over ruled if the children married out of the Jewish custom. I have this in my own lines.

There are some Jewish Chronicle newspaper records on the Alexander and Emrik. Do you have these?
    I noted in the 1830 newspaper article involving the shooting threat by Lewis that Israel refers to 9 children. These are listed in many Ancestry.Co public trees.
    I have Reuben Alexander ( Chatham) who married into my lines and Aaron Aarons master tailor who did the same.
    I know little about Aaron Aarons but have posted on Reuben Alexander on this forum.
    One key consideration is that Jews did not have last names until they were imposed mostly after in the late 18th Century- France, Austria and other countries. Tribal, patronymic names were used prior to those dates.

In addition, last names were adopted when moving to other countries because of pronunciation, simplicity, business etc.. This is the case with my own people. I say this because looking for ancestors abroad is very difficult unless the family name is well known and consistent. My family names such as Jacobs were adopted.

I have been fortunate in having distant cousins who have worked together tracing our lines world wide including a Rabbi which greatly helps when Hebrew appears in the various documents located.

In #13 you refer to the Kings Bench case and Samuel Alexander. This case relates to the Bankruptcy of Israel Alexander. I have access to the British Newspapers via my library but not the Star newspaper as per your post. Are there any other details?

I noted on JewishGen London Insurance Records- Alexander Broker 188 Upper Shadwell 17.6.1791 with Levy Alexander lodger. There is no first name for this Alexander but the Shadwell area and the date may suggest a link to Israel Alexander born Shadwell.

There is probate for a Samuel Alexander oil man Commercial Road -wife Ann 1824 but no other details on the will.
    The

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast