Default "White of Reset"

If you have a findmypast account this link opens a parish burials page:

https://
    search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FSHROP%2FP74-A-1-4%2F33987&parentid=GBPRS%2FSHROP%2FBUR%2F738055

two of the people have the curious "white of Reyset' in their record.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 06-03-2021 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Direst link to commercial site removed as per our T&Cs.

There's a hamlet near Clun called Whitcott Keysett
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    There's a hamlet near Clun called Whitcott Keysett
    Brilliant! it looked so like White of

Thank you!

Reputation beyond repute

You'll find it useful to bookmark
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/

Try drilling down to Shropshire and Clun and then look at the gazetteers where you'll see "WHITCOTT-EVAN and WHITCOTT-KEYSETT, townships in the parish of Clun, county Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Bishop's Castle."

I know you already know the answer but the you'll find the site useful in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You'll find it useful to bookmark
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/

Try drilling down to Shropshire and Clun and then look at the gazetteers where you'll see "WHITCOTT-EVAN and WHITCOTT-KEYSETT, townships in the parish of Clun, county Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Bishop's Castle."

I know you already know the answer but the you'll find the site useful in the future.
    Hi Peter, Thank you very much for taking the time to give me this tip. I am focused on my Davies ancestors in this general area (montgomeryshire/Salop border) and am getting beyond the 'usual record sources'. It's not the easiest of names to divine the truth with !! I am going line by line through original parish records in the 16/1700s but there is little to tell the difference between each family grouping around one name. So highlighting this source is much appreciated!

Very best
    Simon

I have the same trouble with my surname on the east coast of Scotland!
    With that line I have found it useful to keep a record of all children in each family, plus the immediate generations (uncles & aunts, nieces & nephews) and their spouses... That way, you can eliminate some lines when unusual forenames get imported. For example, "Barbara" suddenly appeared in one line, and stayed in that family for several generations. Turned out to be an incoming bride's grandmother, and it never appeared in my line so I put that family to one side (I don't throw data out once I have it, just in case).

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I have the same trouble with my surname on the east coast of Scotland!
    With that line I have found it useful to keep a record of all children in each family, plus the immediate generations (uncles & aunts, nieces & nephews) and their spouses... That way, you can eliminate some lines when unusual forenames get imported. For example, "Barbara" suddenly appeared in one line, and stayed in that family for several generations. Turned out to be an incoming bride's grandmother, and it never appeared in my line so I put that family to one side (I don't throw data out once I have it, just in case).
    Thank you Lesley! I have noticed an unusual 'Maurice Davies' who I believe is not mine - so will apply your technique to him him for starters!