Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WW1 postings

Starting to feel at home

Default WW1 postings

Hi my Gt grandfather was in the Great War as a signalman. I am trying to understand where he was posted - I am confused as it looks like Gallipoli but it says Italy?? Can anyone shed any light on this please? Also what the signal man would do and how close to the action he would be? It says he was also in Corfu fighting with the Serbian Army? Thanks in advance.
    This was all in 1916.
    Kerry

Kerry, could you please provide his name, number and regiment? It sounds as though you are one of the lucky third who has been able to find WW1 service records and it would be easier to help if we can see the document...

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

He could have been in the Australian Army, given posters address!
    What he would do - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signalman_(rank)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signaller
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...rps_of_Signals
    Name would help.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Kerry, could you please provide his name, number and regiment? It sounds as though you are one of the lucky third who has been able to find WW1 service records and it would be easier to help if we can see the document...
    Thanks Lesley

His name is: Albert Blanco
    Regiment: Royal Engineers
    Service number: 75915
    Unit/Battalion: 77th Motor Ambulance company

He served in the British Army. I am British living in Australia.
    Many thanks
    Kerry

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Simmo for the information.
    I am a Brit living in Australia

He was in Southern Puglia, Italy. Brindisi, Puglia, is mentioned in his service records which is an embarkation point to Greece, there's a town in Southern Puglia called Gallipoli.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    He was in Southern Puglia, Italy. Brindisi, Puglia, is mentioned in his service records which is an embarkation point to Greece, there's a town in Southern Puglia called Gallipoli.
    Many thanks for this. I thought he was at the famous Gallipoli but was then confused when it said Italy.
    Cheers

Hi Kerry,
    I have a Fold3 account and found a copy of hi 'Short Service Attestation" record lisitng his family, address etc (a scar on each knee apparently). If you don't have it please let me know.

Best

Simon
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 07-03-2021 at 1:35 PM. Reason: Offer of email address exchange etc deleted re our TOC

Gentlemen, please arrange things such as email address exchange via our Private Message (known as PRs)system. Any email addresses (and URLs) posted on the forum are inactivated by the Mods for anti-spam protection (see our TOC).

If you haven't used the PRs, find the Notifications drop down menu on the blue bar at the top of the BG screen , to the right of the "Todays Posts" menu. Select "Private messages", and then the "Send new message" tab on the left. Use the recipient's BG name, not their email address.

Nobody can read these messages (not even the Mods), so email addresses, etc, are secure.

Please remember that on the open forum, we have to respect the copyright of the commercial databases, as we expect them to respect us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Gentlemen, please arrange things such as email address exchange via our Private Message (known as PRs)system. Any email addresses (and URLs) posted on the forum are inactivated by the Mods for anti-spam protection (see our TOC).

If you haven't used the PRs, find the Notifications drop down menu on the blue bar at the top of the BG screen , to the right of the "Todays Posts" menu. Select "Private messages", and then the "Send new message" tab on the left. Use the recipient's BG name, not their email address.

Nobody can read these messages (not even the Mods), so email addresses, etc, are secure.

Please remember that on the open forum, we have to respect the copyright of the commercial databases, as we expect them to respect us.
    Thx Lesley - that makes a lot of sense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast