Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your posts. Before searching on Family Search I asked a genealogist who lives in Barwell if he had any information on the Herbert family. He let me have a pedigree chart for Austin Herbert as he had already research them for someone else. I had already done a lot of research on the Herbert family and had got to John Herbert born about 1775, died in November 1848, and married Jane Austin, born about 1774 and died July 1850, both of whom lived in Barwell. The genealogist had found William Herbert born about 1749, died about 1812, and married Ann Moor born about 1749 and died 1815. His father was William Herbert born about 1729, died 1767 and he married Catherine Ladford on 29 May 1748 in Barwell. Catherine was born about 1719 and died 1762. His father was also William born about 1690 in Leicester, died 19 June 1763 in Walton in Knaptoft and married Mary Tanser, born 28 November 1697 in Ashby Magna. They were married on 27 April 1718 in Ashby Magna, as per your information. Not sure whether William and Hannah Carter are related. The marriage in 1748 would be correct for William born about 1729 but I have his wife as Catherine Ladford not Lovegrove.

Unfortunately, the genealogist is very ill and I did not want to ask him to do any more searching. This is when I went on to Family Search to see if I could go any further with the family tree.

There were two Herbert families that lived in Barwell and both had large families, which has not helped. I am sure that if I have the same information as the genealogist it is correct as all the searching I have done was using census information. I also think that the three William's that the genealogist found would be correct.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have not seen the will but it looks like this could be the will of William Herbert who died on 19 June 1763 in Walton in Knaptoft. William did have sons named Thomas, David and Benjamin. Would be interested in viewing a copy if possible. Not sure about the 1771 will of William of Shearsby. It does get very confusing with all these Williams!

Famous for offering help & advice

The wills are available on FindmyPast. If you havent already had one, you should be able to get a free trial.

Quote Originally Posted by pam123 View Post
    Thank you for your posts. Before searching on Family Search I asked a genealogist who lives in Barwell if he had any information on the Herbert family. He let me have a pedigree chart for Austin Herbert as he had already research them for someone else. I had already done a lot of research on the Herbert family and had got to John Herbert born about 1775, died in November 1848, and married Jane Austin, born about 1774 and died July 1850, both of whom lived in Barwell. The genealogist had found William Herbert born about 1749, died about 1812, and married Ann Moor born about 1749 and died 1815. His father was William Herbert born about 1729, died 1767 and he married Catherine Ladford on 29 May 1748 in Barwell. Catherine was born about 1719 and died 1762. His father was also William born about 1690 in Leicester, died 19 June 1763 in Walton in Knaptoft and married Mary Tanser, born 28 November 1697 in Ashby Magna. They were married on 27 April 1718 in Ashby Magna, as per your information. Not sure whether William and Hannah Carter are related. The marriage in 1748 would be correct for William born about 1729 but I have his wife as Catherine Ladford not Lovegrove.

Unfortunately, the genealogist is very ill and I did not want to ask him to do any more searching. This is when I went on to Family Search to see if I could go any further with the family tree.

There were two Herbert families that lived in Barwell and both had large families, which has not helped. I am sure that if I have the same information as the genealogist it is correct as all the searching I have done was using census information. I also think that the three William's that the genealogist found would be correct.
    Hello Pam
    Sorry for typing the wrong surname for the Catherine who married William Herbert in Barwell in 1748. I have it both as Ludford and Ladford.(Family Search)
    My main query is whether the father of this William is indeed the William Herbert who married Mary Tanser in 1718.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

thank you for letting me know where the wills are. I will have a look on FindmyPast.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello grisel
    It's difficult to know whether William born about 1690 is the father of William who married Catherine. William would have been 39 and Mary would have 32 when William was born in 1729 so it could be possible. I have gone on the information I was given. If the Leicestershire Record Office was open I would go there to see what I could find, but it is closed at the moment. Not sure were to go to get any further with this.

Yes it can be very difficult once you get back to the 1700s and beyond. Not everyone was baptised and records can easily have been damaged or lost.
    I think you are very fortunate to have got back to 1748 in Barwell with certainty and you have the earlier Williams as possibles until you are able to confirm or eliminate.
    You could do a local one name Herbert study in the Leicester area which may help establish their relationship to one another (if any) and any links to France.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I will try what you have suggested. Do not want to give up yet. Thank you for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12