Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Special Investigation Branch

Good evening, I'm hoping some kind person can point me in the right direction for finding service records for my Grandfather, Jack Burton, of Whitwick, Leicestershire.
    He was initially in the 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards, having been sponsored in by his older brother Lloyd, and he served in Egypt and the UK. His marriage was reported in the Leicester Evening Mail referring to him as a Guards' N.C.O., Lance-Sergeant, in September 1938. However, by 1945 he was serving with the Derbyshire Constabulary because my Mum was born in Chesterfield that year.
    I know he received the Defence Medal and the 1939-1945 War Medal as my Mum has them.
    He re-joined the Army, post WWII, joining R.E.M.E. but was co-opted into the S.I.B. because of his previous Police service. He served in Germany investigating War Crimes, at least one of which was high profile and covered in the press both in the UK and over in France. My uncle was born in Germany during that time. The family were then sent to Northern Ireland as Grandad was stationed at Palace Barracks, Holywood before finally returning to civilian life back in Leicestershire.
    Unfortunately, my Mum can't recall details of the press reports or his service number so I've had no luck searching for articles. In fact I've had no luck with any of his military history. I'd love to know more about any of this and I suspect that his Guards service will be a case of applying to the MOD for his record but I just wasn't sure about the S.I.B. information.

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Louzzle
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.
    All service records from 1921 are still held by the MoD and unfortunately at the moment there is a wait of 12 months plus for delivery. This 'sticky' explains it and also gives the link where you can download the application forms.
    You do not need a service number or regiment to apply just a birth date and a copy of his death certificate.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks, I haven't posted before but I've been a member of the forums for years so I'd already read both of those links. Also thank you for the info regarding applying to MOD, I suspected I'd need to do so, as I said in my original post so the confirmation is helpful. I already had the forms downloaded from elsewhere. I'm afraid that in trying to provide background, I waffled a bit too much and obscured my actual question which was, to put it more concisely, where to find out about the S.I.B. service and war crime investigations. I wasn't sure if that was treated the same way as other military service and held in MOD service records or if it was treated differently and held elsewhere. I've never found any information specifically about it.

Reputation beyond repute

For war crime investigations, read the relevant National Archives research guide -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...mes-1939-1945/

Searching the catalogue with the phrase "Special Investigation Branch" throws up hundreds of hits. Try refining the search as appropriate.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

You may have already seen this. An account of Pat Colson time with 89 Special Investigation Section in Berlin, interesting background to SIB sections in post war Germany.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nkUx1P4Sn5JQeG

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Peter, I'll do that. Appreciate the tip.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Keith, yes I've already seen that along with another PDF about the investigation on the Volkswagen site. I suspect the RSM Jack Burton whom the document talks about, from page 9 onwards, with 70 Special Investigation Section RMP in Hanover, is my Grandfather but there wasn't sufficient information to 100% confirm that.