Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bailey / Cotterill Mystery?

Hello everyone!

I am new to this wonderful website. I have been researching my ancestry for less than a year now, but I have several brick walls I've hit. Hopefully anyone here can offer me some knowledge or direction regarding this one:

My great-great-grandfather was named Colin "Cotterill" Bailey, born in 1889 in Macclesfield, Cheshire. He had several brothers and sisters, and his mother was named Margaret Burgess (born about 1855) and his father was named John Henry Bailey (born about 1860, profession: stone mason).

I have discovered lots on Margaret's side of the family, but everything stops at John Henry Bailey. My grandmother always knew that her grandfather's middle name was Cotterill, but she had no idea where it came from. I did some more research, and it is common for mothers to give their children their maiden name as a middle name. But the name Cotterill doesn't appear anywhere on Margaret's side of the family.

This is where it gets a bit odd - in the 1871 census (if I'm not mistaken), Margaret Burgess lives with her mother, her siblings, and a lodger named John Henry Cotterill, born 1860, and was also a stone mason like my great-great-grandfather. They have to be the same person. But why does his surname switch from Cotterill to Bailey?

I found Margaret Burgess and John Henry Bailey's wedding bann, and it lists John Henry without a father. The space is just blank. However, in the 1891 census, after John Henry and Margaret have had several kids, there is a lodger staying with them, named James Bailey, retired. I think this is John Henry's step father, and he changed his surname from Cotterill to Bailey to make himself appear legitimate, but I'm not sure. I'm lost and can't find anything on John Henry Cotterill.

I know this is a LOT of information, but any guidance and help is very much appreciated. I can also try to provide further information if needed, thankyou

- Danile

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Danile. It’s fairly common, when a mother introduced a step-father, for the children to take his surname. Anyway, I’m sure that others will be able to help more constructively.

Hi Danile and welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

I've taken a look at your query and not got very far, yet. I'll continue to do some searching.

James Bailey, living with John and Margaret in 1891 details: widower, born circa 1829, Macclesfield, a silk weaver.

This would seem to be him.

17, Silk St, Macclesfield. RG11; Piece: 3494; Folio: 72; Page: 17
    James Bailey 52, silk weaver, Macclesfield
    Fanny Bailey 59, Macclesfield

1871, 17 Silk St RG10; Piece: 3675; Folio: 95; Page: 29

Possible marriage
    1870, Macclesfield, Jul - Sept, 8a 215
    James Bailey/Fanny Clough.
    Alma

This is where it gets a bit odd - in the 1871 census (if I'm not mistaken), Margaret Burgess lives with her mother, her siblings, and a lodger named John Henry Cotterill, born 1860, and was also a stone mason like my great-great-grandfather. They have to be the same person
    If I have the correct record it was 1881.
    24, Rodney St Macclesfield. RG11; Piece: 3494; Folio: 113; Page: 11;
    Mary Burgess 51
    Margaret Burgess 25
    Harry Burgess 9
    Henry Swindells 21
    Mary Swindells 20
    John H. Cotterill 20 born Congleton
    Alma

his father was named John Henry Bailey (born about 1860
    John Henry isn't consistent with his place of birth which differs between Congleton and Macclesfield, he is however consistent with his age on census returns. I can find only one birth to fit searching both Cotterill and Bailey 1859 - 1861.

BAYLEY, JOHN HENRY, Mother's maiden name KEY
    GRO Reference: 1860 S Quarter in CONGLETON Volume 08A Page 238

However, I haven't found a marriage between Bayley/Bailey/Baily and Key.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    John Henry isn't consistent with his place of birth which differs between Congleton and Macclesfield, he is however consistent with his age on census returns. I can find only one birth to fit searching both Cotterill and Bailey 1859 - 1861.

BAYLEY, JOHN HENRY, Mother's maiden name KEY
    GRO Reference: 1860 S Quarter in CONGLETON Volume 08A Page 238

However, I haven't found a marriage between Bayley/Bailey/Baily and Key.
    A Caroline Kay married Paul Bailey 24 Nov 1851 Biddulph, Stafford.
    Alma

Thankyou for the welcomes!

Wow, that is wonderful information, thankyou so much Alma! And yes, I made a mistake with the census years. You have the correct census for 1881 containing John H Cotterill.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Do you think it's safe to say that the James Bailey who stayed with John Henry in 1891 is the same James Bailey married to Fanny in the 1881 census? If Fanny is John Henry's mother, then where does the name Cotterill come from? Could Fanny have been previously married and Cotterill is her first husband's surname?

My apologies for so many questions, please don't feel pressured to answer them. Thank you for all of the help so far, I really appreciate it