Fanny Whitehurst 18, lodger
    Alma

1871, RG10; Piece: 3704; Folio: 117; Page: 15
    Caroline Bayley, married, 38, silk winder, Nantwich
    Elizabeth E Bayley, dau, 13, Congleton
    John Hy Bayley, son, 11, Congleton
    Harriett Bayley, dau, 8, Congleton
    Ada Bayley, dau, 1, Congleton

All Caroline's children's birth registrations seem to have mother's name Key.
    Alma

At last a breakthrough, but as yet I haven't made a connection between John Cotterill and Ada Marie Bailey or Ada Marie's mother and siblings.

1881, 55 Willow St, Congleton. RG11; Piece: 3533; Folio: 94; Page: 2

John Cottrell 49, stonemason, Congleton
    Caroline Cotterill, 35, wife, Northamptonshire
    John William Cotterill 8, son Rugby Warwickshire
    Peter Edmund Cotterill 6, son, Macclesfield
    Oswald Harry Cotterill 3, son, Macclesfield
    Eleanor Matilda Cotterill, dau, 8 months, Congleton
    Ada Marie Bailey 11, adopted child, Congleton

Ada must be the child who is age 1 in 1871 with mother Caroline

1871 RG10; Piece: 3703; Folio: 110; Page: 7
    1891 RG12; Piece: 2844; Folio: 88; Page: 15;
    Alma

I have to leave it for now.

I forgot to post this

30th Jan 1870, Rugby.
    John Cotterill, full age, widower, mason, residence at time of marriage Rugby, father Peter Cotterill a mason
    Caroline Wooding or Woodring, full age, father William
    Witnesses Paul BAILEY and Mary???????
    Alma

I'm back!

I wonder if this is the marriage of John Henry's parents?
    It's a transcription from Ancestry's England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973
    24 Nov 1851 Biddulph.
    Caroline Kay, age 19, father John
    Paul Bailey age 18, father Paul.

Probably the same Paul Bailey who was a witness at John Cotterill's marriage

I think we now have John Henry's parents sorted out.

As I posted at #5
    BAYLEY, JOHN HENRY, Mother's maiden name KEY
    GRO Reference: 1860 S Quarter in CONGLETON Volume 08A Page 238
    Alma

Hi Alma, thankyou again. With regards to the name Bromley, the name appears no where on Margaret's side of the family (I have about five generations before Margaret), so I assume Bromley is from John Henry's side of the family. Also, my great-great uncle was named after Bromley (his full name was Bromley Bailey).

I also forgot to mention, a while ago I was searching on FindMyPast, and I found a Cotterill family from Biddulph, Staffordshie, which isn't too far away from Congleton or Macclesfield. Earlier you mentioned a Paul Bailey from Biddulph who married Caroline Key. Maybe there is a connection there? Or, if John Henry was illegitimate, do you think his birth mother would have avoided registering his birth? Maybe that was illegal

Thankyou so much once again, please let me know if there is anything I can try to do on my side or if there is more information I can provide.

- Danile

Ah hi again Alma, sorry, I hadn't realized that there was a second page to the thread. I just read everything. I am a bit overwhelmed haha! You are an amazing researcher!

So, I am a bit confused as well. So, just to clarify, John Henry's birth name was John Henry Bailey, but when his mother Caroline Bailey (nee Key) married John Cotterill, her children took the surname Cotterill? And I assume John Henry temporarily took the name Cotterill (as in the 1881 census containing Margaret's family), but when he got married to Margaret Burgess, he used his birth name Bailey? Please let me know if I interpreted all the information incorrectly, it is a lot to understand haha!

Also, since we think Paul Bailey is John Henry's father, who is the James Bailey that was a lodger in 1891 at John Henry's house? Possibly an uncle, a brother of Paul Bailey?

I thankyou so much again, Alma, I had no idea that anyone would ever come this close to solving it, you are brilliant!

Hi Danile, I will attempt to explain how I see all the relationships, it may not be this evening as I'm hoping to get an early night, if not tonight I'll probably have some spare time tomorrow.
    Alma

I've now discovered Paul Bailey who married Caroline Key/Kay married for a 2nd time in 1867, it was a bigamous marriage as Caroline was still alive, she died 1873.

27th Oct 1867, St Andrews Rugby
    Paul Bailey, full age, widower, stonemason, father Paul Bailey a stonemason
    Harriet Walton, full age, spinster, father Joseph Walton a labourer
    Witnesses; Joseph Adcock and a name I cannot decipher
    (Caroline still alive in 1871)

We have to assume Paul had deserted Caroline and his children and he may not be the father of all Caroline's children as the only census Caroline and Paul are together is 1851. Ada was born abt 1870 and by then Paul was 'married' to Harriet and living in Rugby, the 1871 census shows he and Harriet had two children. I'll post the census returns.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by danile View Post

So, I am a bit confused as well. So, just to clarify, John Henry's birth name was John Henry Bailey, but when his mother Caroline Bailey (nee Key) married John Cotterill, her children took the surname Cotterill? And I assume John Henry temporarily took the name Cotterill (as in the 1881 census containing Margaret's family), but when he got married to Margaret Burgess, he used his birth name Bailey? Please let me know if I interpreted all the information incorrectly, it is a lot to understand haha!

Also, since we think Paul Bailey is John Henry's father, who is the James Bailey that was a lodger in 1891 at John Henry's house? Possibly an uncle, a brother of Paul Bailey?
    Yes, John Henry's birth name was Bailey. No, Caroline Bailey nee Key didn't marry John Cotterill, John Cotterill's wife Caroline is a different person. As Caroline Key/Bailey died in 1873 leaving her children effectively orphans it could be John Cotterill cared for them, I base this assumption on Ada living with John in 1881.

Bailey is not an uncommon name in the area, James Bailey may, or may not be a relative.

I still haven't found the connection between John Cotterill and the Bailey family, other than Paul Bailey being a witness at John Cotterill's marriage and Ada living with him in 1881. Of course it's possible there is no family connection, John Cotterill and Paul Bailey may have been close friends.
    Alma

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast