Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Unsure if Im on the right path

Hi All,

I have hit another brick wall or maybe I am just being too cautious not to get it wrong.

I am researching my family tree at the moment and I seem to be stuck on a faily recent relative

My late grandmother was called Emily Morrison. She was my Mothers Mother. I believe she must have remarried as prior to this she was a Paget which was my mother’s maiden name. I have my grandmother’s death certificate which gives her D.o.B as 29th Aug 1921. Death as 14th May 1998 and maiden names as Biddell.

I knew my grandad as Jack Paget, but I’m confident that that his real name was John. I have my mother’s wedding certificate which should the Fathers name as John Vincent Paget. I have matched him on Ancestry.com and believe he was born on 1st Feb 1915 and also died 1998.

I have cross referenced the 1955, 1957, 1960 and 1962 electoral records and found there both names (Emily Paget and John Paget) lived together during these years. I have also found the marriage record which shows them being married in 1938.

I also have my Father’s death certificate, which has the name of the informant as "Emily Charlotte Morrison" being his Mother-in-Law.

The middle name Charlotte also seems to cross reference to the 1962 electoral record that show "Emily C Paget"

So I believe my grandmother is Emily Charlotte Morrison, previously Emily Charlotte Paget and maiden name Biddell.

The problem I am having is tracing her upline. Ancestry gave some hints that seem to match up, with her father as William Biddell and her Mother as Emily Brown.
    The thing is when I look on the 1939 census, there is an Emily on there but born in 1900, so that doesn’t seem to match up.
    Then I am thinking if its 1939 maybe my grandmother didn’t live there as she was married in 1938.

The other thing throwing me is there are two Emily's born in 1921, one with a slightly different spelling, Emily Biddell and Emily Biddle. So wondering if there might have been a spelling mistake or something.

It doesn’t help I can’t seem to find very much information on my grandmother.

I was wondering what steps I can take to ensure I am following the right person.

Many thanks

Russ

I think your grandfather is indexed as PAZET on the 1939 register on FMP, I haven't checked Ancestry. There's one closed record and a John junior born May 1939. Address 8. Crawford St, Birmingham.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I think your grandfather is indexed as PAZET on the 1939 register on FMP, I haven't checked Ancestry. There's one closed record and a John junior born May 1939. Address 8. Crawford St, Birmingham.
    He's indexed with the correct name on Ancestry, so I presume you had found him, the redacted record must be your grandmother, Emily.
    Alma

I have cross referenced the 1955, 1957, 1960 and 1962 electoral records and found there both names (Emily Paget and John Paget) lived together during these years. I have also found the marriage record which shows them being married in 1938.
    Do you have the marriage certificate for John V Paget and Emily? If so who is named as Emily's father? If you don't have the certificate you need it to establish her father's name.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Hi, Yes, Her husband (my Grandfather) seems to come up correct on Ancestry. There seems to be more information on him as well as I remeber he lived with someone called Gertrude before he passed away and there is reference to him remarrying a gertrude.

One my Grandmothers side though, so Im stuck on her upline, as if I assume the hints correct on ancestry, these would be William Paget and Emily Brown, but on the 1939 census for these, it shows an emily as being born 1900, not 1921. I guess they could have had two children called Emily, and maybe my grandmother moved out before 1939 as she married in 1938.

Is there a way I can absolutely confirm william paget and emily brown are her parents, as getting in wrong so earlier on will mess the whole up line up.

Like I said, maybe Im being too over cautious and need to acceot that the Ancestry hints are correct. I think what is also throwing me are other peoples family trees I have looked at from the hints seem to not show my grandmither emily on there.

In additon, I can not seem to find a marraige record for her marrying to become a morrison?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyH View Post
    if I assume the hints correct on ancestry, these would be William Paget and Emily Brown, but on the 1939 census for these, it shows an emily as being born 1900, not 1921. I guess they could have had two children called Emily, and maybe my grandmother moved out before 1939 as she married in 1938.

The 1939 register doesn't give relationships, so the Emily born 1900 could be a sister, niece etc.

Like I said, maybe Im being too over cautious and need to acceot that the Ancestry hints are correct. I think what is also throwing me are other peoples family trees I have looked at from the hints seem to not show my grandmither emily on there.
    No, you aren't being over cautious, Ancestry hints are just that, hints, hints which you do need to check out. You're also right to not be swayed by others' family trees as there are many trees with misinformation.
    Alma

Looking at the Emily Biddle/Biddell's.

Emily Biddell 4th qrt 1921, Aston, MMN Brown
    Emily Biddle 3rd qrt 1921, Aston, MMN Haycock

Both birth quarters are OK for a 29th Aug birth as parents are allowed six weeks to register a birth.

These marriages seem to fit with the above births.

Marriages Sep 1918
    Biddell William Brown Aston 6d 1171
    Brown Emily Biddell Aston 6d 1171

Marriages Dec 1918
    BIDDLE Thomas W Haycock Aston 6d 763
    Haycock Hilda Biddle Aston 6d 763
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Alma, Really appriciate your helps

Yes, thats whaat is throwing me.
    I can't imagine my Grandmother Death certificate being wrong, so her maiden name must be spelt Biddell.

So William and Emily as her parents would seem the correct route. But I just cant seem to link them together nicely to be confident that the other results (Thomas and Hilda) are wrong.

One my Grandmothers side though, so Im stuck on her upline, as if I assume the hints correct on ancestry, these would be William Paget and Emily Brown, but on the 1939 census for these, it shows an emily as being born 1900, not 1921. I guess they could have had two children called Emily, and maybe my grandmother moved out before 1939 as she married in 1938.
    That Emily could be William's wife and the mother of 'your' Emily.

William Biddell married EMILY Brown
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Oh yes, you may be right there.

Bit odd though as on the 1939 census, it has her name "Biddle" scribbled our and put as "Kempson"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast