Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Growing old Disgracefully

Default John Andrew Gilbert can not find him

Looking for some infomation about John Andrew Gilbert born around 1813. This is infomation I have found. He and his wife Maria (no maiden name) had three sons, John (1838), James (1843) and Henry (1855).
    Now I’ve only got this info for John and Maria from the census records, and James marriage certificate to Eliza Haynes in 1861.
    They lived in a very poor slum area of Oxford East. John Andrew was a Wireworker - making sieves for farmers and other intricate wire work. This trade was passed down to his sons.
    Maria put that she was born in Oxford on 1861 census. But then changed it to Malta on 1871 & 1881 census records. Maria ended up in the Oxford Asylum with Dementia and died there in 1894. John Andrew Gilbert is not on any census records. J A died in 1858 as I have found the death record.
    There is no records of the boys births, or John A Gilbert and Maria’s marriage or births that I can find. So I’m completely stuck. Any help would be gratefully received.

Hmmm..
    Scotlands People keep insisting that they have nobody of that name in 1841... Or 1851... I always look!

I was wondering whether Maria made him up until I saw that you have his death cert.

The only thing I can think of is that JA was a soldier in his younger days (which would account for Maria's claim to have been born in Malta). She might have changed the claim in the later census to feel more secure as a widow.

Famous for offering help & advice

The only John Gilbert, Wire Worker I can find on the census is in 1851 at Hanley Castle, Upton on Severn, aged 37, unmarried, and born Scotland - HO107, Piece 2043, Folio 242, Page 19

Wire Workers were often itinerant so its a possibility I suppose, and with no marriage found, and no birth registrations for the children as Gilbert, the 'unmarried' bit could be correct too.

Its all a bit vague though....

I expect we have all noticed that Susannah Gilbert is a witness at James's marriage to Eliza Haynes

is Susannah the wife of John Gilbert junior?

can't find any Marias born Malta in 1812 but there are half a dozen or so apparently born there between 1809 and 1820 (FMP)

Of course, if they did start in Scotland, they could have been non-conformists on one sort or another. Many registers are missing and BMD certificates didn’t start until 1855...

Henry seems to have married in London. Henry Gilbert/Mary Hawkins April 4th 1872 at St Mary le Bone, Henry describes father John as a confectioner.

Banns read in Oxford St Ebbe, 3rd, 10th and 17th March 1872.
    Alma

I wonder if this birth & death is in some way connected to the family:

Birth: GILBERT, MARIA (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1862 J Quarter in HEADINGTON UNION Volume 03A Page 540
    Death: GILBERT, MARIA aged 0 GRO Reference: 1862 D Quarter in OXFORD Volume 03A Page 368

A Susannah Gilbert married John Ham 1862, Oxford

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I expect we have all noticed that Susannah Gilbert is a witness at James's marriage to Eliza Haynes

is Susannah the wife of John Gilbert junior?
    I had found this and was thinking that she might be his sister

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    I had found this and was thinking that she might be his sister
    I thought the same, but if she is the Susannah Gilbert who married John Ham 1862, Oxford, then I think her children have the mmn SMITH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast