Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Nasmyth William Churchill BAUGH

I am researching my Baugh family roots. My great grandfather was Nasmyth William Churchill Baugh, his father was Charles Richard Baugh and his father was Thomas Folliott Baugh, whose father was Job Walker Baugh. In a local history book where Nasmyth lived it states that he was a cousin of Winston Churchill. I have not been able to corroborate that.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default KarenLM

I have been doing this off and one for a few years. We were always told and the local history book, says that my great grandfather was a cousin of Winston Churchill; however I have not been able to find the connection.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Karen,

A slightly belated welcome to British-Genealogy.

I saw your original post and, although it related back to the family in the thread it was in, I did wonder if it should have its own thread. Having re-read the first thread (and noted how old it is!) I have decided your query would be best in its own thread. We only allow one thread per query because otherwise it causes confusion and duplicated reearch which is why both of your posts are now in this one thread.

The original thread about the Baughs going back from Charles Richard (father of Nasmyth) can be found at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ighlight=baugh
    In particular in post #4.

There's no mention of Nasmyth in that thread though so perhaps you could tell us what you know about him regarding where and when born, etc, as well as details of the local history book. i.e. what place it relates to, as well as precisely what it says about Nasmyth. When was it published?

Depending on when Nasmyth was born will depend on which generation of the Churchills you will need to concentrate on to prove a connection to Winston Churchill. i.e. Winston's aunts and uncles, or great aunts and uncles.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

For some context
    Canada, Newspapers.com Obituary Index, 1800s-current
    N. W. C. Baugh
    Death Age:78 Death Date - 12 July 1935
    birth Date 1857 Poona, India
    Marriage Date: 1885
    Residence - Saltcoats
    Death Place -Bredenbury, Sask.
    Obituary Date - 12 Jul 1935
    Obituary Place: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Father - Charles L. Baugh
    Spouse - Edith Elizabeth Visit
    Child -Charles Richard C.
    Frederick H. G.
    O. Jeiuon
    C. M Richards
    Siblings:
    Roland D. Baugh
    M. E. I. Cruick-Shank
    Lillian Davies

1880 United States federal census
    Nathan W.C. Baugh
    Age 22
    Birth Date About 1858
    Birthplace India
    Home in 1880 South Park, Park, Colorado, USA
    Dwelling Number - 15
    Marital Status: Single
    Father's Birthplace - England
    Mother's Birthplace - England
    Occupation - Farm Laborer
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

So we are now back to England and Scotland
    1851 HO107 Piece 1866 Folio 426 Page 14
    Exeter St Leonard Devon
    Thomas Folliott Baugh 78 Widower retired rear Admiral R.N. Half pay. born Salop Ludlow
    Charles Richard Baugh 30 son Lieutenant East India Co. Bombay Army, on furlough. Scotland
    Elizabeth Emma Baugh 26 London Middlesex
    Charles Folliott Baugh 4 Grandson East Indies
    Mary Isabella Emma Baugh 2 gdaughter East Indies
    Harriet Fanny Baugh 5 Months East Indies
    Ann Bater 33 Housemaid
    Mary Clarke 30 Cook
    Sarah Cosler 29 Nurse
    Mary Lightfoot 15 Nurse

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

Do not belive every thing you are told as sometimes its made up. People want to be conected to someone famous.

My dads surname was MOSS and we as kids where told that we where related to the racing driver Sterling Moss no way are we. All my Moss family came from Essex and Middlesex, Sterling came from Scotland. Just saying so don't be disapointed if you are not related to our Winny.

My Mums Aunt Married and went to Canada with her new Husband and Son we all knew that, what we didn't know was that she had had another son born out of wedlock who was sent to live in Australia,
    On her Newspaper Obituary it also said she had a daughter Jane and a son and 2 Grandchildren (we knew about the 2 boys) so who is this daughter Jane who is not knowen about.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Pam - this is what I know about my great grandfather William Nasmyth Churchill Baugh:
    He was born in India because his father (Charles Richard Baugh) was serving with the British army at that time. He was born in 1857 -don't have date. The history book I mentioned was a local one called Memory Lane ISBN 0-88925-028-6 published in 1978 by the Bredenbury History Book Committee, Bredenbury Saskatchewan. It says N.W.C. bought horses in Montana and drove them up to Canada in 1884, and that he served as a Texas Ranger before coming to Canada.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Nasmyth William Churchill Baugh was born in 1857 in India, where his father, Major General Charles Richard Baugh was serving at the time. He died July 12, 1935 in Bredenbury Saskatchewan Canada. He married Edith Elizabeth Vint in 1885.