Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WW1 joining up

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you very much Christanel. That is a useful tip to reduce the time window from the medals he didnt receive. Karen

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you I will do. I am learning so much Karen

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you eveything is begining to make sense. I thought I had seen a record that said he had joined up at Saltburn. Of course I cant find it now ! But I now think it was a Fold3 record and when I clicked through I couldnt see it. Karen

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley that is so helpful. I had got confused with Marche being the 'walking POW' which is sometimes referred to.

I couldnt find him on the POW Database and I have tried different variations of spelling his surname. He went missing on 16th July 1918 so could it have been that the records werent so meticulous at the end. Karen

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you having never studied the period this is all new to me but of course what you say makes sense now. It is helping me to look at things through different eyes which is very helpful. Karen

Quote Originally Posted by timbo58 View Post
    49823 is a long, long way into the numbers for the Lincolnshire regiment as far as I can tell.
    if there is a record of a man with a similar number and attestation date anywhere it might give an approximate idea.
    As you say it'll more than likely just be post July 1917 however based on his age.
    The closest service no. I've spotted is 51,469 which was allocated to a George William Bromby, 2nd Battalion, Lincolnshire Regt. who attested 18 March 1917 at Hull (transferred to Labour Corps 11 Sep 1918)

Re. post #7 the Long, Long Trail only covers nos. issued up to 6 July 1914 (No. 9,745)

Note - never comfortable with Service Nos!!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12