Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Accepted Child

Sorry, Yes I’m still trying to connect Maria Jane to Owen and Elizabeth Hughe so info around this is very welcome, ive traced back the Hughes that we know are family but there is nothing to connect with Owen and Elizabeth so yes please, thanks again everyone.

Owen and Elizabeth Hughes in 1881? Address in 1911 still Arthur Street. The 1911 Census has them married 34yrs, no children born alive.

1881 RG11 5595 25 50 Address Arthur St, born Holyhead
    Owen Hughes, Head, Marr, 28, Railway Labourer, born Holyhead
    Elizabeth Hughes, Wife, Marr, 32, born Llanfairyneubwll
    Richard Hughes, Cousin, Widower, 47, Hawker, Lborn Llanfairneubwll
    Hugh Hughes, Cousin, Unm, 21, Farmer Labourer, born Llanfairneubwll

Have you traced the marriage and births of Owen/Elizabeth?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Marriage, Parish Church of Llanfair-yn-neubwll
    9th August 1875
    Owen Hughes, 18, Bachelor, Labourer, abode -Caergeiliog, Father Daniel Hughes - Labourer
    Elizabeth Williams, 24, Spinster, abode - Caergeiliog, Father Robert Williams - Miller

Witnesses - Robert Williams and John Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Marriage

13 Jul 1903, Caergybi / Holyhead, Anglesey
    Richard Roberts age 23, father David,
    Catherine Hughes age 21, father Robert.

Please ignore if I'm giving info already posted, my concentration isn't good this evening.
    Additional details are -
    Bachelor, labourer, abode - 26 Baptist Street, father's occpn - labourer
    Spinster, abode - 22 Rock Street, father's occpn - stone mason
    Witnesses Owen Williams, Mary Parry

There's a Parry family at 22 Rock Street on the '1901 Census - but no Mary.

1901 Census RG13 5297 60 23
    Address 26 Baptist Street
    David Roberts, Head, Marr, 43, General Labourer, born Holyhead
    Elizabeth Roberts, Wife, Marr, 45, born Holyhead

Children William 25, Elizabeth 23, Richard 21, Fanny 16, Mary Jane 12, Mary Ellen 10, Sarah Ann 9, Dora 6, Nellie 0 - all born Holyhead

How to join the dots with Hughes, Williams and Roberts to play with!

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    1901 Census RG13 5297 60 23
    Address 26 Baptist Street
    David Roberts, Head, Marr, 43, General Labourer, born Holyhead
    Elizabeth Roberts, Wife, Marr, 45, born Holyhead

Children William 25, Elizabeth 23, Richard 21, Fanny 16, Mary Jane 12, Mary Ellen 10, Sarah Ann 9, Dora 6, Nellie 0 - all born Holyhead

How to join the dots with Hughes, Williams and Roberts to play with!
    Yes, ive tried going back on the Owen Hughes and the Elizabeth WIlliams family but came to a bit of a dead end as not many records seem to be coming up, but as im a beginer in this that just might be down to me, at the moment the 2 Hughes families seem to be different families, but really struggling to go back any further on the Owen/Elizabeth Hughes families, I think this is the key as we have plenty histroy on the other Hughes. Thank you so much for the help, you have provided me with a few more clues to dig into, thanks, really appreciated, and my learning curve is going upwards rapidly.

Owen's YoB from the 1911 Census is 1852; from the 1881 Census it's 1853; from the 1875 marriage I posted it's 18 (but no guarantee this marriage is the Owen in '81 and '11). Like you, I'm struggling with Owen and Elizabeth.

I had also checked out the description "accepted child" on a range of Welsh sites - no success. I also checked for the Welsh "derbyn - to accept/receive" in various forms on these sites - again no success.

The Welsh for "to adopt" is "mabwysiadu". At the outset of the post I checked it against the on line dictionary Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru (my Bible) which produced the alternatives " dewis - to choose" and "coleddu - to cherish/foster".

But I've just looked up "mabwysiadu" in a quite substantial dictionary I hold and, lo and behold, it gives "derbyn - to accept/receive" as an alternative. Robert has both Welsh/English in 1911, no doubt with Welsh as the first language. Possible source of his describing Maria Jane?

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Owen's YoB from the 1911 Census is 1852; from the 1881 Census it's 1853; from the 1875 marriage I posted it's 18 (but no guarantee this marriage is the Owen in '81 and '11). Like you, I'm struggling with Owen and Elizabeth.

I had also checked out the description "accepted child" on a range of Welsh sites - no success. I also checked for the Welsh "derbyn - to accept/receive" in various forms on these sites - again no success.

The Welsh for "to adopt" is "mabwysiadu". At the outset of the post I checked it against the on line dictionary Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru (my Bible) which produced the alternatives " dewis - to choose" and "coleddu - to cherish/foster".

But I've just looked up "mabwysiadu" in a quite substantial dictionary I hold and, lo and behold, it gives "derbyn - to accept/receive" as an alternative. Robert has both Welsh/English in 1911, no doubt with Welsh as the first language. Possible source of his describing Maria Jane?
    Thank you very much for this, it really confirms what i think were finding through the research of the family on the tree, Hughes families no connections that can be found and then the recording of accepted on the cencus. Thanks very much for the help. Really appreciated

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234