Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accepted Child

Default Accepted Child

Does anyone know what the above term means please, thanks in advance

Welcome in!

Can you give us the context, please? What sort of document (I assume a census?) timeframe and country would all help.

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums
    If, as Lesley suggests, it is from a census and badly written, could it be adopted child?
    If a census entry you could give us the reference details (Year/Piece/Folio/Page) and we can take a look.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

It’s recorded under relationship to family
    1911 cencus - wales
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Welcome in!

Can you give us the context, please? What sort of document (I assume a census?) timeframe and country would all help.

It’s very clear so no problem with wording and as mentioned its 1911 cencus in wales, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums
    If, as Lesley suggests, it is from a census and badly written, could it be adopted child?
    If a census entry you could give us the reference details (Year/Piece/Folio/Page) and we can take a look.
    Christina

Hi
    This is intriguing. The 1911 census was filled in by the householders and I am wondering if the person who filled in the information used their own interpretation of adopted.
    I did go to the 1911 Wales census and just put 'adopted' in the Keyword box. There is over 4000 entries but none for Accepted so it hasn't been transcribed as such on ancestry.
    If you could give us the name, birth place and year of your subject we could take a look, but only if you want to.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

And the family name does not match the head of household or the wife’s maiden name?

As a speculation, it sounds as though it COULD mean what we would call today a fostered child, maybe a local term. Hopefully one our welsh experts will turn up and tell me I’m right or wrong! I’m much better with Scots!

It can be found under "accepted child" on FMP - as transcribed. But it's not clear the original is "accepted"?.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    And the family name does not match the head of household or the wife’s maiden name?

As a speculation, it sounds as though it COULD mean what we would call today a fostered child, maybe a local term. Hopefully one our welsh experts will turn up and tell me I’m right or wrong! I’m much better with Scots!
    thanks again, it is my grandmother who we know went to live with what we think are her aunt and uncle (surnames are correct for them), her name is Maria Jane Griffiths, born 18 Aug 1903, thanks again for the responses

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    It can be found under "accepted child" on FMP - as transcribed. But it's not clear the original is "accepted"?.
    Ah ok, yes I see your point, we did read it as accepted child, the family have understood she was recorded as accepted child - this being verbal history in the family going back years- but no one knew what it meant.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast