Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Buckles & Bagster, Merchants/Shipping Agents.

I know this is a bit out there, but hope someone may be able to help.
    Am trying to find the records of these agents for 1829/30. They were the agents for the voyage of the Rockingham from London to Swan River (Western Australia). The ship left St Katherines Dock early January 1830. I already have a passenger list, but am hoping to match it against the original records of Buckles & Bagster. In the 1800's these agents were at
    33 Mark Lane London.
    Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks. Jeddah.

The Rockingham was chartered by "The Association formed for locating SETTLERS at SWAN RIVER, Western Australia". Their advert appeared in the Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser, 2 Dec 1829. Would be passengers were instructed to contact a "T Peel, Esq ... at his Office, No. 1, Eagle Place, Piccadilly. All information relating to the ship, and arrangements respecting passage, will be obtained on application to Messrs Buckles, Bagster and Buckle, 33 Mark Lane"."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Was the source of your passenger list the "Settler's Gazette"? The records of the 15 ships that sailed 1829 are on line - but cannot find 1830? (The Rockingham sailed 7 Jan 1830)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks for all that. I already have the news article you refer to. I have tracked the "Rockingham" to her arrival in Western Australia, and the records here show my ancestors (husband & wife) and 2 children arriving. Daniel Tapper, his wife Ann, and 2 children (Lucy & Frederick).
    Only trouble is there was a third child, and nobody seems to know where this child is, or what happened to him. There is a theory he died before they left England, but cannot trace a death. This is why I was hoping the original passenger list compiled by the shipping agents would show 2 or 3 children. The missing child in question is Cornelius Tapper, baptised 8-6-1828 in Blandford St Mary, Dorset.
    Thanks. Jeddah.

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia, School Indexes, 1830-1970
    Cornelius Tapper
    Birth Date 1825
    Parent or Guardian Daniel Tapper
    Other Parent or Guardian Ann Tapper
    Pupil or Teacher - Pupil
    Other Schools - Clarence
    Dates Found in Schools: 1830
    Residence Clarence Beach, Western Australia
    Comments - Arrived on the ship "Rockingham" 14 May 1830

There is a note next to this record to say it is incorrect as there was no school at Clarence in 1830 and Cornelius was aged two. However if a baptism date is the only evidence of Cornelius' birth then he could be older as children were not always baptised in the year they were born and some were not even baptised until adults.
    An email to the Rockingham Historical Society may be the best way to go?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina,
    thanks for that. Already have the info regarding the school record. This has already proved to be incorrect and the Rockingham Historical Society were contacted some time ago and advised to amend their records. Ancestry were also contacted and asked to remove this record from their site. Nobody knows where this info came from, as there never was a school in Clarence in the 1830's. Assumptions made by someone and never verified!!!.. Thanks for replying though. Jeddah.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Jeddah,
    exactly what other documentation do you have regarding this query because twice now people have found information only to be told 'I have that already'. It's a bit soul-destroying for someone to find what they think is a really good detail only to find that they've wasted their time.

I would also add that in giving every little detail you have, from whatever source, as well as saying exactly where you've already looked, you could prompt someone to have a light-bulb moment and remember some obscure index they've previously found.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I'd do some more research before you discount the school record. The school index is a historical document and not an assumption. Maybe you have misinterpreted the record. 'Other Schools Clarence' does not relate to the district of Rockingham. If you read up a bit more you will find it relates to the settlement of Clarence (near present day Woodman Point) where the ships passengers set up camp on arrival.
    Where does it name the two Tapper children on the ship?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Go to museum.wa.gov.au/welcomewalls/names/tapper-daniel

Daniel Tapper came to the Swan River Colony with his wife Ann and two children Corelius and Frederick. They came as indentured servants to Thomas Peel.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast