Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loves to help with queries

Have to disagree . The first letter ( that you call L and I call S)is a replica of the S of Sarah

It's a simpler curve than L, which is more elaborate with slight flourish at the top and a horizontal piece at the tail

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by DocDAve View Post
    Have to disagree . The first letter ( that you call L and I call S)is a replica of the S of Sarah

It's a simpler curve than L, which is more elaborate with slight flourish at the top and a horizontal piece at the tail
    No, it isn't. It doesn't have the 'dot' at the bottom end of the letter like the S of Sarah does.

However, if you're convinced that the surname begins with S, then there's nothing more I can say.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Loves to help with queries

The opposition is constructive and I'm grateful for the input

I'm sure my experience is typical,of months of searching, and then something flies off the page at you
    The dot referred to is an artefact. The shape of the S in Sarah and the surname first letter are in parallel and the curves mirror each other. Plus no other John Lawsons in Long Alley

Was it possible in that era to have a child baptised if the parents weren't married ?

Lawson!
    I just can't see the word Searrs in this entry at all especially as I see the last letter as an 'n.'
    The capital letter which starts the name has a similar look to the S of Sarah at the top curve but the bottom sweep to the left lies flat as it does in the name Laurence in the following entry.
    Moving down the page to the entry for Sarah dau of Joseph and Elizabeth I see a definite upward curve at the bottom of the S.
    The black dots (artefact/artifact) do seem to be consistent with certain words eg .In.st

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

The black dots have occurred where the pen is lifted off the page in order to move to the next letter, and can be seen in both upper and lower case 's', as well as several other letters. Where the letter is connected to the next one (as in Long) there is no black dot.

This makes it almost certain that the first letter here is 'L' and the surname is Lawson.

Reputation beyond repute

Family Search claim it's John Larson (although I'd guess at Lawson).

Famous for offering help & advice

The 'w' is of a kind often seen where the first two minims (uprights) are joined at the top rather than the bottom, which would seem normal to us. There are plenty of other examples here, such as 'Edward' in the entry above, and 'was' in every entry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12