Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Yet another brickwall!

Hi everyone,
    Yet again I am asking for help with my paternal side.You helped me find my grandad a short while ago... some brilliant sleuthing by Jomot1 & I had a grandad with 3 names. He found my grandad on the 1881 census,aged 2 months,& called Percy Holroyd Robertson,born in Paddington to Emily Robertson. She was about 25 years old & stated to have been born in Scotland. I sent for Percy's birth certificate,which stated that he was born on 18th Feb 1881 at Queen Charlotte's Hospital,Marylebone Road,Marylebone, to Emily Maud Mary Robertson,a parlourmaid of Paddington. She gave her address as 9 Brindley Street,Paddington,which was the address she was visiting on the 1881 census,with 2 month old Percy.

I have tried to trace Emily on Scotlands People,FMP,Family Search,as well as the England & Wales records,& can find no trace of Emily with any or all of her names,born around 1850-60.
    The only person I found with the same names was an Emily Maud Mary Roberts,who was 25 in 1891,when she married Frank Archer in Hounslow,Middlesex.
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
    Susannah

Famous for offering help & advice

an Emily MATILDA Mary ROBSON was born 1858 at Kelso. but I guess thats all too distant - unless she deliberately changed her name?

Previous post for reference: https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...lusive-grandad

Its possible that Emily may be related to John McDuff, who says in the 1891 census that he was born Perth, Scotland around 1849.

There are a few possibilities to choose from, but this baptism on Scotlands People might be worth building a tree for to see if it connects to Emily:

MACDUFF, JOHN
    Parents: DONALD MACDUFF & MARGARET ROBERTSON
    12/02/1847
    373/ 30 203
    Little Dunkeld

Settling in

Hello Jomot1, sorry for the delay in acknowledging your reply........ I have followed your advice & started a new McDuff Tree on Ancestry.Have had one or two hints up to now, but I am waiting for John McDuff's marriage certificate to arrive,so that I can confirm his father's name. Fingers crossed for further results.
    Regards
    Susannah

Settling in

Hello again, Jomot1,
    A bit more info that I would appreciate some advice on - I received the marriage cert. for John McDuff & Jane Moore & John's father's name is Peter McDuff,a coal merchant. I have searched on FamilySearch & found Peter Duff,b.1806;married to Janet Mclean/McLaren in 1831,shown as parents of John Duff,b 18 Feb 1848.I have also found a John Duff in the 1871 England census listed as a visitor at an address in Kensington,London. In Dec 1871 John McDuff marries Jane Moore. Do you think it feasible that Duff & McDuff are the same. I'm a bit confused as lots of things seem to fit; it's just the Duff/McDuff conundrum.Many thanks
    Best regards
    Susannah

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Soozi-B View Post
    Hello again, Jomot1,
    A bit more info that I would appreciate some advice on - I received the marriage cert. for John McDuff & Jane Moore & John's father's name is Peter McDuff,a coal merchant. I have searched on FamilySearch & found Peter Duff,b.1806;married to Janet Mclean/McLaren in 1831,shown as parents of John Duff,b 18 Feb 1848.I have also found a John Duff in the 1871 England census listed as a visitor at an address in Kensington,London. In Dec 1871 John McDuff marries Jane Moore. Do you think it feasible that Duff & McDuff are the same. I'm a bit confused as lots of things seem to fit; it's just the Duff/McDuff conundrum.Many thanks
    Best regards
    Susannah
    The 1861 census shows a John Duff born abt 1848 in Perth, Scotland. Parents are Peter Duff born abt 1807 and Janet, There are also 3 other sons and one daughter. Also on the 1851 census for Scotland too more children on this one.

Super Moderator

[Just seen an 1881 census for a John MACDUFF and his wife Jane MACDUFF, living at 9 Brindley Place, Paddington. He is a Railway Guard and they have one son Herbert J. Mac Duff age 8. Although John's estimated DOB is 1815, I do not think that is correct as his age is not readable on the actual census form.

Hi Soozi

Its certainly possible that Duff & McDuff could be the same family - one of my relatives is recorded under the surnames Toole & O'Toole with one husband, and Mann (Mahon) & McMahon with another.

Looking at the family in Perth, in 1851 Peter is Manager Of Dung Depot (at least that's what's transcribed!), in 1861 he's an Inspector of Cleansing, and by 1871 bingo - he's a Coal Merchant.

It does look very promising

Peter left a will, which may or may not help:

Duff, Peter
    15/3/1889
    formerly Coal Merchant, afterwards residing in Kinnoull Causeway, Perth, d. 11/12/1888 at Perth, testate
    Perth Sheriff Court, Ref SC49/31/135

Death Registration:
    DUFF,PETER aged 84
    387/ 554
    Perth

Settling in

Hello suemalings,many thanks for your research. I am aware of all the info on the various census returns,& have saved them for further evaluation. There seem to be a few anomalies regarding the children & mothers -i.e. whether Janet Mclean is also Janet McLaren! My problem was the Duff & Mcduff change in 1871. Maybe Jane Moore just didn't relish becoming Mrs Duff - always a possibility in this Family history tapestry!
    Many thanks again
    Regards
    Soozi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast