Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Unhappy Charles John Wren name change

I’m searching for Charles John Wren born in Pound Tree Lane, Holy Rhood, Southampton, Hampshire, England. He was born Nov 30 1851. I know this bc he died in Verdun Asylum for Insane in 1926 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. On a doc for Verdun he says his father is Joseph and Mother Caroline. I believe the family changed their names. Caroline may have been Caroline Susanna Wren and father Joseph Aime Dusoir born 1811 in Foreign Lands, France. Joseph may have been a teacher. Charles John starts out as a copiest and clerk and could speak French. Initially the family thought Charles John Wrens parents were Joseph Wren and Caroline Streeter of Mayfield, Sussex but I believe that’s wrong. He’s not on their census forms. He was on one in London 1881 with wife Rachel Wren) and a visitor from Wales William Mooney. No marriage or death records on her.
    I found navy records in Charles John Aime aged 15 signed by mother Caroline Wren. He was in the navy 3 years but jailed for 2 yrs for dessertion. The ship was Narcissus and I believe typhoid was in the ship. He was later jailed for 6 months as Charles John Wren for attempted suicide. He married Florence E. Gardner and immigrated to Montreal in 1892.
    I’m trying to confirm that he was Charles Aime and Dusoir so that I can confirm his parents and continue with the family tree Wren. Just lost. I can’t find name change info or birth registration. And Rachel? Sigh. If anyone’s has any ideas on this I’d be grateful. I need to move on. I have the other branch (Turner for my friends Mother side) going back to the King of Jerusalem and Charlemagne. Such stories!

Hi, and welcome to Brit-Gen.

This birth reg. record, taken from the GRO site confirms his mother's maiden name.

DU SOIR, CHARLES JOHN, MMN WREN
    GRO Reference: 1851 D Quarter in SOUTHAMPTON Volume 07 Page 248
    Alma

1861 census, school housemaster, Canal View, Southampton.
    RG 9; Piece: 678; Folio: 38; Page: 27;
    Joseph Charles Dutoir 50, schoolmaster, France,
    Caroline Susanna Dutoir 44, London
    Joseph Charles Dutoir 26, Exeter, Devon,
    Alfred Henry Dutoir 14, London
    Emma Maria Dutoir 10, Southampton
    Charles John Dutoir 9, Southampton
    Constance Matilda Dutoir 8, Southampton
    Napoleon Henry Dutoir 3, Southampton
    Constantine Quintus Dutoir, 2, Southampton
    * note they've been transcribed as duToir
    Alma

1871, 190, Grays Inn Road, St Pancras, London. RG10; Piece: 216; Folio: 15; Page: 23
    Charles Aime, 50 Head, attorney' clerk, France
    Caroline Aime, 47 Wife, London
    Napoleon Aime, 14 Son, Southampton
    Constantine Aime, 13 Son, Southampton
    Alma

Taken from FreeBMD marriage index
    Charles John Du Soir
    Apr-May-Jun, 1883, Shoreditch
    Two possible brides listed (I'll try to establish which is the right one} Rachel Finbow or Sarah Louise Watson.
    Alma

1881, RG11; Piece: 1251; Folio: 4; Page: 2;
    Alfred Du Soir 34, tutor, London
    Lydia Du Soir 29, governess teacher, Cobham Surrey
    Mabel C. Du Soir 7, Hants
    Caroline Du Soir 64, widow, Mother, governess, London

Parish of Farnborough, Southampton. Jul 3rd 1880, age 71.
    Joseph Charles Aime Du soir of Cove Rd.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I did find this one thanks.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

What is GRO. This looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SEvitts View Post
    What is GRO. This looks interesting.
    Thr GRO is the General Register Office. You need to register to search the indexes, however, it is free to register and search. At the moment it has just birth and death registrations, no marriages. The births give MMN and the deaths age at death.

When you've registered click 'order certificates online', next page scroll down to 'register or login' next page click 'search the GRO indexes', then choose birth or death.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
    Alma