Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Loves to help with queries

Default Koperberg, va Wesel etc NL-UK UK 19C

FOR HELPERS - MARRIAGE TO SARAH BOAS IS DISPROVED LATER IN THREAD

Hi everyone,

am looking for a marriage in the UK, very possibly London between July 27, 1899 and January 27, 1900 between a Joseph Koperberg,born Amsterdam march 29, 1878 to Rosalina Koperberg, father uknown and a Sarah Boas. In Holland they said he got married "according to English law", so that could mean a legal marriage.
    He was written out of the Amsterdam records that date in 1899 and re entered in 1900 at said date.
    Both of them are Jewish.
    Have no idea where to start and look/search.
    Thanks for all your tips and advice,

best regards
    Paul
    the Hague

Brick wall demolition expert!

For a marriage to be legal it would have to be registered with the civil authorities. There are a few other criteria relating to where it takes place, and by whom, but civil registration is key. On most genealogy sites you will see a dataset called England and Wales Civil Registration Index.

I've had a look and can't see a marriage that meets your criteria.

It is possible that they married in a religious ceremony and didn't know that they needed a civil ceremony as well to make it legal according to English law. That isn't true for all religious ceremonies.

It could also mean a marriage or the registration of the marriage at the British Embassy in Den Haag, but I don't know what criteria you had to meet to arrange that. I'm pretty sure that at least one of them would have to be British.

I think that the National Archives has a section for "overseas marriages".

You have shown the bride and groom with the same surname. Was Rosalina also Miss Koperberg before her marriage?

Paul, Megan Leslie
    Would it be sensible to move the thread to Jewish Roots? I have a John Boas born Netherlands staying with my 2x great grandparents in 1881 see Jewish Roots thread and the Boas individuals appear in the Jewish Chronicle archives on a number of occasions. There are 4 Koperberg JC records.
    The Boas families include Leuw;Groenwoud, Lipman, Van Thal, Vandam,, Cohen lines through marriage between 1860-1881 but there are a lot more on the JC Archives post those dates.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Good thinking, Phillip. I've only really been looking at the UK marriage aspect.
    Will do.

Done! Over to you!

Many thanks Leslie. Paul has been looking for his various lines over several years on the BG Jewish Roots forum and this move may help him and others.

Paul and others see JewishGen Unified search for the Boas and Koperberg names- there are numbers of Boas and note the Amsterdam Synagogue Marriage Acts where the surnames appear. See also the Netherlands Jews website Wie Was Wie which has hundreds of Boas names including births etc.
    If you look on UK Naturalisation Records there are a couple of Boas.
    I suspect that this is a Dutch Jewish marriage but this needs confirming. You may have one BS subject marrying a Dutch national hence the reference to the English law. There maybe a Dutch ketubah recorded but I know in the UK in the early days the marriage record/contract was passed to the bride and not kept in the Synagogue.

Paul what records in #1 were you referring to. This may help narrow down origins for data search.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Default needle in haystack?

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to find an entry in the UK, London to be precise, am looking for a family member who according to Amsterdam arcives went to London July 24, 1899 and came back to Amsterdam january 27, 1900.
    Have no clue in which archive to look, thanks for your kind reply and information

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The main archive for London is the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA), but what sort of record are you hoping to find?
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The main archive for London is the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA), but what sort of record are you hoping to find?
    Pam
    Hi Pam thanks for your reply, well mainly documents to prove he was there coming in and going out and maybe referrring to a place where he stayed one in London, all data is useful. Am trying to write book on him later and now am tracing his steps.
    Have a noce evening, best regards from the Hague, Paul

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Beek1956 View Post
    Hi Pam thanks for your reply, well mainly documents to prove he was there coming in and going out and maybe referrring to a place where he stayed one in London, all data is useful. Am trying to write book on him later and now am tracing his steps.
    Have a noce evening, best regards from the Hague, Paul
    Hi Paul,

I had a feeling you were going to say something like that.
    First of all, turn the question around, and let it be my ancestor going from London to Amsterdam at the same time. What records am I likely to find in Amsterdam about his stay there?

I don't know if the big hotels such as Claridges, Savoy, Dorchester, etc, existed by 1899 and if they did, if they would have kept the registers of their guests from that long ago. (Assuming that they kept those sort of records in the first place.) With ordinary lodging houses I would say your chances of finding records are somewhere between zero and nil.

There is a wonderful newspaper archive - British Newspaper Archive -
    https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
    (also, except for the latest updates, available on Findmypast)
    and depending on why he was in London he might get a mention.

I notice that you've posted this in 'Jewish Roots' so was your ancestor Jewish?
    If so, and you post his name and a little bit about his background our resident Jewish expert, Phillip, might be able to find something.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast