Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Koperberg, va Wesel etc NL-UK UK 19C

FOR HELPERS - MARRIAGE TO SARAH BOAS IS DISPROVED LATER IN THREAD

Hi everyone,

am looking for a marriage in the UK, very possibly London between July 27, 1899 and January 27, 1900 between a Joseph Koperberg,born Amsterdam march 29, 1878 to Rosalina Koperberg, father uknown and a Sarah Boas. In Holland they said he got married "according to English law", so that could mean a legal marriage.
    He was written out of the Amsterdam records that date in 1899 and re entered in 1900 at said date.
    Both of them are Jewish.
    Have no idea where to start and look/search.
    Thanks for all your tips and advice,

best regards
    Paul
    the Hague

Brick wall demolition expert!

For a marriage to be legal it would have to be registered with the civil authorities. There are a few other criteria relating to where it takes place, and by whom, but civil registration is key. On most genealogy sites you will see a dataset called England and Wales Civil Registration Index.

I've had a look and can't see a marriage that meets your criteria.

It is possible that they married in a religious ceremony and didn't know that they needed a civil ceremony as well to make it legal according to English law. That isn't true for all religious ceremonies.

It could also mean a marriage or the registration of the marriage at the British Embassy in Den Haag, but I don't know what criteria you had to meet to arrange that. I'm pretty sure that at least one of them would have to be British.

I think that the National Archives has a section for "overseas marriages".

You have shown the bride and groom with the same surname. Was Rosalina also Miss Koperberg before her marriage?

Paul, Megan Leslie
    Would it be sensible to move the thread to Jewish Roots? I have a John Boas born Netherlands staying with my 2x great grandparents in 1881 see Jewish Roots thread and the Boas individuals appear in the Jewish Chronicle archives on a number of occasions. There are 4 Koperberg JC records.
    The Boas families include Leuw;Groenwoud, Lipman, Van Thal, Vandam,, Cohen lines through marriage between 1860-1881 but there are a lot more on the JC Archives post those dates.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Good thinking, Phillip. I've only really been looking at the UK marriage aspect.
    Will do.

Done! Over to you!

Many thanks Leslie. Paul has been looking for his various lines over several years on the BG Jewish Roots forum and this move may help him and others.

Paul and others see JewishGen Unified search for the Boas and Koperberg names- there are numbers of Boas and note the Amsterdam Synagogue Marriage Acts where the surnames appear. See also the Netherlands Jews website Wie Was Wie which has hundreds of Boas names including births etc.
    If you look on UK Naturalisation Records there are a couple of Boas.
    I suspect that this is a Dutch Jewish marriage but this needs confirming. You may have one BS subject marrying a Dutch national hence the reference to the English law. There maybe a Dutch ketubah recorded but I know in the UK in the early days the marriage record/contract was passed to the bride and not kept in the Synagogue.

Paul what records in #1 were you referring to. This may help narrow down origins for data search.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Many thanks Leslie. Paul has been looking for his various lines over several years on the BG Jewish Roots forum and this move may help him and others.

Paul and others see JewishGen Unified search for the Boas and Koperberg names- there are numbers of Boas and note the Amsterdam Synagogue Marriage Acts where the surnames appear. See also the Netherlands Jews website Wie Was Wie which has hundreds of Boas names including births etc.
    If you look on UK Naturalisation Records there are a couple of Boas.
    I suspect that this is a Dutch Jewish marriage but this needs confirming. You may have one BS subject marrying a Dutch national hence the reference to the English law. There maybe a Dutch ketubah recorded but I know in the UK in the early days the marriage record/contract was passed to the bride and not kept in the Synagogue.

Paul what records in #1 were you referring to. This may help narrow down origins for data search.
    Dear Philip and all who have sent messages

Thanks for your contributions.
    So far I only heard about this marriage from family, he had a mother Rosalina Koperberg but father is unknown. The data I mentioned are from the Civil records city of Amsterdam. Why he went to the UK is unknown, maybe because he was a young guy,in and out of prison.
    He came back but there was only a mention of that in the records,no one really knew he had returned, there was an administrative remark so he could have been see by someone or betrayed.
    So I know nothing about this Sarah and Boas is a fairly common Jewish name in Holland so who knows she is a Dutch woman he met in the UK or here and took to London,however because of his background notm so likely. So marriage according to english law is fairly vague,sorry

Best regards
    Paul

If you wish I could start a thread at the Jewish angle?

Paul, please don't start another thread about the same people - to prevent duplicate help, etc, we only allow one active thread per research family. This thread is now in our Jewish Genealogy Forum, that is sufficient.

Phillip, Wie was Wie is the Dutch national BMD (and more) site for everyone. Not all registration districts have been included yet.

PS Gentlemen, I do prefer the female version of my forename...

Dear lesley and others,

Have checked JewishGen but no luck finding the right persons, WiewasWie is far from cpmplete must tell you as a frequent user. Hope we can find the right data, thanks to all who contribute

Wie was Wie say that they have Amsterdam City archives. It's always possible that the name of the nearest big place that strangers might have heard of was given, rather than a small place close by. That's happened to me before now!
    If she was British, she might turn up in the 1891 census...

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast