Brick wall demolition expert!

Default An interesting bit of trivia

I was reading through descriptions of prisoners in Lancaster gaol, and one of the women is described has having had her ears "bored". I presume that was 18th / 19th century equivalent of pierced! I dread to think how it was done.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Perhaps she just had uninteresting friends?
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I was reading through descriptions of prisoners in Lancaster gaol, and one of the women is described has having had her ears "bored". I presume that was 18th / 19th century equivalent of pierced! I dread to think how it was done.
    Probably with a sewing needle the way my left ear was done in the early 70s when a girlfriend wanted me to wear one of her earrings as a token of our love.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    Probably with a sewing needle the way my left ear was done in the early 70s when a girlfriend wanted me to wear one of her earrings as a token of our love.
    Cheers
    Guy
    I remember my mom telling me that when she was at school the girls used to use a needle but also put a cork on the ear so the needle went through the ear into the cork, or maybe the other way around. Either way can you imagine now with all the Health and Safety stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by tony vines View Post
    Perhaps she just had uninteresting friends?
    This reflects the dame sentiment!
    Ipswich Journal, Sat 5 May 1798
    In many of the Goldsmiths' shops this notification is on the windowsEars bored here. This would be no bad motto for our Debating Societies
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"