Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Birth of great grandfather in Bengal

My great great grandfather was posted to Bengal India in 1865. He was married in Cork Ireland in 1864, and He was joined by his wife and child from Cork in 1866. His second son was born in Fyzabad Bengal in April 1867. I have found a record of his son’s Christening on 26 May 1867, in Indian Births Marriage and Deaths, but I cannot find any other information on FIBIS. I would certainly like to obtain a copy of any certificate which might be available but don’t know how to order one.

I do not know my great great grandfather’s army number, nor the name of his regiment. His name was John Manning, and his son born in India was also called John Manning.

Family stories state that the family returned from India in 1873 aboard HMS Crocodile. This was a well-known troop carrier, and of course the Suez Canal had opened since their outward journey, but I don’t know whether they returned to Cork or to England.

Any suggestions as to how I can find any more information would be greatly appreciated!

Hi
    As there seem to be an abundance of John (and other)Mannings in India I will post this baptism which is John Manning's second son's baptism in India. Is this the correct family.
    John Manning
    Birth Date - 6 May 1867 not April as in your post.
    Baptised 26 May 1867
    Baptism Age - 0
    Baptism Place - Fyzabad, Bengal, India
    Father - John Manning
    Mother - Margaret
    Reference ID: v 120 p 291
    FHL Film Number - 499026

What are the birth dates of John Manning snr and his wife Margaret? The names of their other children/first child born in Ireland?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Could this be your John Manning jnr with his wife and family including his brother born Cork?
    1891 census
    RG12 Piece: 3224 Folio: 4 Page 1
    2 Albert Place Salford Lancashire
    John Manning 23 General Labourer born India
    Kate Manning 24 Salford
    Florence Manning 3 salford
    Denis Manning 1 salford
    Denis Manning 25 brother General Labourer born Cork
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    As there seem to be an abundance of John (and other)Mannings in India I will post this baptism which is John Manning's second son's baptism in India. Is this the correct family.
    John Manning
    Birth Date - 6 May 1867 not April as in your post.
    Baptised 26 May 1867
    Baptism Age - 0
    Baptism Place - Fyzabad, Bengal, India
    Father - John Manning
    Mother - Margaret
    Reference ID: v 120 p 291
    FHL Film Number - 499026

What are the birth dates of John Manning snr and his wife Margaret? The names of their other children/first child born in Ireland?
    Christina

Christina,

You have the correct details for the family in Salford in 1891.

My great great grandfather John was born in 1841 and his wife (named Mary on 1864 marriage certificate) born in 1842. Their first born son Denis was born April 1865. The second son John was indeed born in May 1867, christened on 26 May.

Thanks for looking into this one !

Famous for offering help & advice

The full baptism record is on FMP and shows John as a private in the 1/11 Regiment, ie 1st Battalion of the 11th regiment of foot.

The birth is also in the GRO Regimental Birth Indices, so can be ordered from the GRO. The references are different to the usual ones, but the details from the Index are John Manning 1867 Fyzabad 11th Foot Volume 1359 Page 21

John's service number was with the 11th Regiment of Foot was 3192.

Born Kilmean, Mayo
    Attested at Liverpool 23 Dec 1852 aged 17 years & 10 months. Service towards pension began 23 Feb 1853
    Discharged 3 March 1874 after 21 years pensionable service
    Intended place of residence: Nightingale Street, Lisson Grove, London

Jomot1,

Thank you so much for the information. I’m a novice at this, could I see the record on FMP, if you can tell me what that is !?

I have been on the GRO site, but where would I find the overseas records ?

I might now be able to find dates of sailing etc from his regiment.

Thanks again !

Yes, you should be able to see the record on FMP. There's a 'correct' way to do it, but I'm lazy and just used the main search screen & typed in his name, birth year, and in the 'where' box I just typed India. The baptism and the GRO entry were the first two items.

If you specifically want the certificate from the GRO then on their website where it says 'Where was the event registered?' you select the radial button 'Outside the United Kingdom and registered by the British Forces, Consul, or High Commission'then follow the prompts.

I've never ordered an army birth certificate, so I can't confirm what information will be on it - it may be nothing more than what's on the baptism.

EDITED TO ADD: Unlike UK births, you can't search for the overseas birth entry on the GRO website, its only online at FmP as far as Im aware.

Thanks for following up on this Jomot and you are correct when you says overseas birth entry are only online at FMP which is Findmypast - a pay per view site where one can buy a few credits to download images.
    This is The National Archives research guide to overseas BMD's. Scroll down the page and you will see a link to FMP.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I've never ordered an army birth certificate, so I can't confirm what information will be on it - it may be nothing more than what's on the baptism.
    Manny1,
    If you do order that birth certificate, could you be an angel and tell us what the column headings are on it, please.
    Ordinary English and Welsh birth certificates until 1969 have:
    Column 1 - number (the entry number in the register) and when and where born
    Column 2 - name (if any)
    Column 3 - sex
    Column 4 - name and surname of father
    Column 5 - name, surname, and maiden name of mother
    Column 6 - occupation of father
    Column 7 - signature, description, and residence of informant
    Column 8 - when registered
    Column 9 - signature of registrar
    Column 10 - name entered after registration

It will be interesting to compare them.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”