Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Ethnicity results

Hello everyone, I am new to this!

I received my ethnicity results from Ancestry DNA and the results have kept me awake tonight!

I have always believed I had an Irish grandfather and English grandmother on my moms side.

My paternal grandparents were both Welsh, speaking with Welsh accents dispite living in the Midlands almost all of their lives.

My ethnicity results say I am 42% Scottish, 28% Irish, 22% English and only 8% Welsh.

Knowing I had 2 Welsh grandparents I am shocked at the 8%,

Is there a logical explanation for this? Many thanks in advance for your replies
    Last edited by Bluejay21; 17-02-2021 at 5:42 AM. Reason: Grammar

There’s a very logical explanation. Nationality and ethnicity are not the same thing. People have been moving around for centuries, and you don’t know where the ancestors of your ancestors came from.
    Take a look at the history - for example, English people have been moving in and out of Wales since Mediaeval times. Move north in the Uk, and you’ll get a lot of Scandinavian genes, thanks to the Viking invasions. And so it goes on.

Have you traced your tree by more traditional means? Have a look at the ancestry of your Welsh grandparents. You know where they and their parents were, but where their grandparents and great grandparents from.

Try and see this as a challenge - it would be fascinating to investigate where these different sorts of DNA have come from.

Good luck!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for replying Lesley, there is a minefield of information out here! It’s going to take some time to get my head around it.

If it was easy, it wouldn’t be so rewarding, or as much fun!

PS when you decide to go beyond the DNA, remember that we’re here to help!